Used car. 30k-ish. Fun.

Caporegime
Dear denizens of motors, as much as I love the 640d I'm looking to trade it in for something more fun! It really is a great car in all aspects except for handling and parking. It is frankly a barge.

My short-list so far has a bit of variation and is a fairly eclectic mix so let me know your thoughts;

981 Boxster s. Quick enough. Handles brilliantly. Looks brilliant. Cheapest are around 35k which is more than I'd like to spend. Expensive to maintain.

981 Cayman s. See above. Looks better. More expensive again.

None s versions of the above. Cheaper to buy and run. Really felt the loss of power.

Z4 35is. Quick. Handling is ok, significantly better steering feel on post 2013 models which is a must. Like the interiors. Tech is a bit dated. Rare as rocking horse crap atm.

E9x m3. That engine! Old tech. Bland interior. Pricey to run and service.

F8x m3/4. Goes like stink. Looks great. More than I want to spend. Expensive to service. Interiors aren't as nice as what I'm used to.

m2. Same as porsche. Looks don't tickle me.

Mx40i. Cheaper than the m cars. Loads of choice on the market especially for sub 30k. Not as fun although still have great engines. Interiors are awful.

Caporegime
OP
Lol I'd half typed out a reply to Gibbo alone (he's right when he points out the 981 is my favourite) but you other chaps make good points too. I could definitely have been clearer in the OP.

30k would be the budget without needing to use any form of credit which is ideal scenario a). However credit can be used hence the -ish and why cars like the M's and Cayman S are on the list. Maintenance I really wasn't clear on at all. The Boxster S I listed as expensive in a relative term compared to the cheapest which will probably be the mx40i's. I'm not exactly afraid of coughing up the money required considering the 640d isn't cheap by most people's standards and certainly in the same ball-park if not more expensive than the 981.

I agree with what you're saying @kindai about the maintenance cost limiting me, which is entirely right and that's probably why I'd rule a GTR out. Whilst it is one hell of a machine I wouldn't want to pay the amounts required to keep one in the condition it deserves to be in (as you do).

Golf R's...I really don't know why but they just don't tickle me, nor do things like the TT RS (@SDK^ ) or any hot Audi for that matter. Same with Mercedes, I'm just generally not a fan and it's not because they're not capable cars - they really are! Call it a fault with me as I appreciate that actually for my needs they probably offer some of the best options!

@Nasher you're also right about the luxuries which is why I'm not necessarily after every toy etc. but i can't do with the spartan levels of the Lotus. I need a bit of leather damnit!

Caporegime
OP
You sound like one of those people that take 10 years choosing a house and then never move because their criteria is not achievable.
Pay the extra money and get a Boxster or Cayman, as they are regarded as class leaders, or, pay less and take the hit on interior quality. Simples :p

But there are cars that cost less that look/are as good interior wise. Managed to track down a Boxster s relatively near me so a test drive is booked this weekend.

Curiously nobody has suggested an f-type!

Caporegime
OP
Slk 55 is off the list. Loved the seats but wasn't too fussed in the rest of the interior. Exterior is awful. Engine is outstanding, sounds great. Handling is flat.

Caporegime
OP
So...boxster s. Mmm the roar of that engine. Chassis is amazing. No body roll at all. Steering was responsive but didnt find the feedback that positive. Suspension firm but without being crashy. Interior layout good and logical but satnav screen is impossible to use and the design of the whole lot is straight out of the 80s. Quality is good though.
Actually amazed by the storage capacity. Also seats are great!

Caporegime
OP
The 981 really is totally superb, plus buying now is wise as they won't depreciate much at all for the simple reason the replacements are FI and sound horrid in comparison.

It's a very nice car. Rear visibility is shocking though!

Just been putting together an advert for mine. Don't know any good places to sell do you?

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, drove one back to back with an M4 today. Preferred its drive and handling more than the M4, M4 engine was definitely sweeter though and the interior is nicer.

Back
Top Bottom