Used car from dealer - tyre advisory on MOT

Soldato
My girlfriend just bought a 2016 Golf Match ed. from the local Listers VW. She took it for a test drive and came to my house, I was about to start a work meeting so I only got 1 minute to look at it, I noticed the rear tyres were cracking/perished. I checked the MOT history, last MOT was in March and it had an advisory for rear tyres perished, front tyres worn close to legal limit on edge.

I went to the dealer with her the next day and asked if they would replace the tyres, the guy went out to look and came back and said all tyres were above 3mm so they wouldn't replace them. He took pictures of the tyres and showed us, I saw the fronts had 4mm (measured later) but of course couldn't see the very inside edge. I said we wouldn't buy the car without new rear tyres at least, he said he needed to speak with his manager who wasn't in.

The next day they called and agreed to replace the rear tyres, the sales guy was an arse on the phone to my gf, saying we will replace them to stop her getting 'narky' about it. She was pretty shocked with his attitude the entire time, I won't go into all of it but this and some other comments he made was enough for her to fill out the Listers complaints form. The manager called her and apologised, they said a different sales guy would deal with her.

Anyway, she finally picked up the car with a full tank of fuel, new rear tyres and road tax, she came to mine, my dad looked at the front tyres and said there wasn't much tread on the inside edge, we took the car to a friend of my Dads who does MOTs, he described them as borderline and said he would probably look to replace them before winter. I wanted to go straight back to the garage but my gf said she's had enough and will just buy new tyres herself. Obviously that's her choice, just wandered what other peoples opinion was.

I was surprised how much they pushed back on just tyres, even though I pointed out the previous MOT advisory, rear tyres were actually on last year too.

Am I expecting too much of Listers over a used Golf? It's only a £10k car.

Soldato
I Would have never continued to buy the car from them with that attitude and now your always going to wonder what they will be like upholding any warranty claims assuming you have one.

Soldato
OP
I Would have never continued to buy the car from them with that attitude and now your always going to wonder what they will be like upholding any warranty claims assuming you have one.

I would have personally but my gf always rushes in, shes almost always bought the first car she looked at, her first car was an over priced wreck. She didn't need this car instantly but there's no stopping her sadly.

If I did convince her to go back I'm not sure if they would do anything, the finance is done and she has the car now as far as they are concerned, unless there's some kind of cooling off period.

Caporegime
How did she pick up a car with road tax given that a.) it hasnt existed for 83 years and b.) assuming you mean VED, it hasn't been transferable for 5 years? Id definitely run the plate to check its actually taxed if I were you.

Also i would have walked away from the deal. Its a poverty spec golf, not exactly rare. Take your business elsewhere and report your experiences with that dealership to someone higher up the chain. There was no need to put up with the way they were treating you both... But you gave them the sale anyway...

Soldato
OP
How did she pick up a car with "road tax" given that a.) it hasnt existed for 83 years and b.) assuming you mean VED, it is non transferable?

Also i would have walked away from the deal. Its a poverty spec golf, not exactly rare. Take your business elsewhere and report your experiences with that dealership to someone higher up the chain.

A. Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), but commonly called car tax or road tax. Literally everyone still calls it road tax. They paid for 12 months, it's been a long time since I had pay for VED so I'm a bit out of touch here.

Soldato
You raised the issue of the rear tyres and they were replaced, unfortunately to retrospectively go back and say you want the fronts doing after the purchase has been made I'm certain you will be told that isn't happening.

he described them as borderline and said he would probably look to replace them before winter.

Sounds like sound advice from the family friend so I'd stick a note in the diary for three months time and forget it until then.

As for the way you were dealt with, I'm not surprised. I haven't bought a car from a dealer for well over 10 years as I like to think I'm a pretty good judge of character and far prefer the process when buying privately. Unfortunately scum buyers have pushed more and more people towards services like WeBuyAnyCar so private cars are very few and far between these days.

Anyway, I had to source a used car for work as my company car replacement and the general attitude and persona of many car salesmen is shocking. I'm in a customer facing role myself and there is no way I would act that way around our customers. Main dealers were the worst I found, I ended up finding the right car at a VW / Audi / Seat dealer and dealt with the Audi guy as the Seat salesman was out moving house... in the car I'd gone to see :rolleyes: He was pretty good but as soon I was back in the Seat camp the service was shocking. Another main dealer I walked in to a member of staff screeching across the sales room "**** OFF! HAHAHAHA. **** YOU!" At which point a salesman thought it was hilarious that she had done this in front of a customer "You do realise we've got a customer in? Ha ha!" "OH! ****. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!" *runs off*. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Commonly (and incorrectly) called road tax. :D

I'm still going to call it road tax :p

You raised the issue of the rear tyres and they were replaced, unfortunately to retrospectively go back and say you want the fronts doing after the purchase has been made I'm certain you will be told that isn't happening.

Sounds like sound advice from the family friend so I'd stick a note in the diary for three months time and forget it until then.

As for the way you were dealt with, I'm not surprised. I haven't bought a car from a dealer for well over 10 years as I like to think I'm a pretty good judge of character and far prefer the process when buying privately. Unfortunately scum buyers have pushed more and more people towards services like WeBuyAnyCar so private cars are very few and far between these days.

Anyway, I had to source a used car for work as my company car replacement and the general attitude and persona of many car salesmen is shocking. I'm in a customer facing role myself and there is no way I would act that way around our customers. Main dealers were the worst I found, I ended up finding the right car at a VW / Audi / Seat dealer and dealt with the Audi guy as the Seat salesman was out moving house... in the car I'd gone to see :rolleyes: He was pretty good but as soon I was back in the Seat camp the service was shocking. Another main dealer I walked in to a member of staff screeching across the sales room "**** OFF! HAHAHAHA. **** YOU!" At which point a salesman thought it was hilarious that she had done this in front of a customer "You do realise we've got a customer in? Ha ha!" "OH! ****. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!" *runs off*. :rolleyes:

I'd rather buy private too but it seems rare these days. I was thinking earlier that it would be better to buy an enthusiasts car, one that had been treated really well by an owners club member or something.

She's happy with the car and seems happy to buy her own tyres in a few months so I guess I won't push her any more.

Soldato
OP
:p

Just pulling your leg!

Anyway, hopefully the car serves your other half well. :)

Don't worry I'm taking it well.

Thanks mate, hopefully she keeps it longer than the last one she rushed into. She bought a 1 litre 3 cylinder Polo and complained it didn't have much power, I wanted her to shop around for at least a 1.2. Nevermind.

Caporegime
Don't worry I'm taking it well.

Thanks mate, hopefully she keeps it longer than the last one she rushed into. She bought a 1 litre 3 cylinder Polo and complained it didn't have much power, I wanted her to shop around for at least a 1.2. Nevermind.

My first car was a 2002 1.2 3 cylinder Polo. Beastly car. 53.6HP (the .6 was important) and 0 - 60 in about 17 seconds. Phwoarrr...

Soldato
OP
My first car was a 2002 1.2 3 cylinder Polo. Beastly car. 53.6HP (the .6 was important) and 0 - 60 in about 17 seconds. Phwoarrr...

Sadly for her she went from a company supplied Golf 2.0 TDI to the 1.0 Polo after a change in role. When it's your first car it's not as bad, my first car was a Nissan Micra, I think they were around 50hp too.

Soldato
How did she pick up a car with road tax given that a.) it hasnt existed for 83 years

If you're going to be an anorak about it, at least make sure that you are right... :p

Wiki said:
In 1937, the direct relationship that existed between the tax and government expenditure on public roads was cut, with the proceeds being treated as general taxation. In the 2015 budget, the government announced that the revenue would once again be used directly to maintain the roads, for the first time since 1937.

Back
Top Bottom