Used or new upgrade? Is it worth the saving?

Associate
Looking to upgrade a system for a family member they are coming from a 3rd Gen intel platform. They will be using for uni and esport titles at 1440p. I want a build and forget setup they already set on the gpu 4070 super which they will be getting soon (going to let them borrow a 1650 for now). Budget was £300, less was better. These are the two builds.

New £285
12400F
MSI Intel PRO B760-P DDR4 II ATX
Corsair LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4

Used £270
12600KF
MSI Z790 Gaming Edge
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

I would care less with going used on my own build but what's your thoughts on a build for someone else who has zero knowhow?

I would go for a used system as I don't mind taking the risk on used parts for better performance but I think its each to their own.

Also I think if going new then ryzen is the way to go even if it means spending a little more as you'll have a few years worth of upgrades which will save money down the line.

Also I think if going new then ryzen is the way to go even if it means spending a little more as you'll have a few years worth of upgrades which will save money down the line.

Their last build lasted them 7 years so most probably by the time they need/want to upgrade they will do a whole new platform.

The problem is it's another £100 for the cheapest motherboard and RAM combination for an AM5 build

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £388.98 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

You can get a B650 for that price no? (but avoid that cheap RAM) And wait for 9x00 series and you'd hope lower end chips like the 7600 will drop a bit more

Last edited:
you'd hope lower end chips like the 7600 will drop a bit more
You'd hope, but I can't see it happening any time soon, hence why AMD have doubled down on AM4 still being their budget platform (with the release of several "new" processors for it 5900XT/5800XT/5700X3D/5600GT/5500GT).

It can only be a capacity/yield/cost constraint on TSMC's 5nm and below processes, meaning it's obviously still worth churning out cost optimised 7nm AM4 products.

He wanted to spend less then even 300 he's current pc an old ex corporate desktop which is just not cutting it and making he's work harder, so can't really wait any longer hence getting the core bits even before a gpu.

New £285

Used £270
He wanted to spend less then even 300
If the 12600KF is not assembled bundle, another thing to be aware of is that the 12400F has a usable cooler in the box, whereas the 12600KF doesn't come with one.

he's current pc an old ex corporate desktop which is just not cutting it and making he's work harder, so can't really wait any longer hence getting the core bits even before a gpu.
You're not planning to install the core parts in the old corporate desktop, right? I ask because they're often proprietary and even if the motherboard fits, you might find that it has a different front panel, incompatible headers and the PSU has the wrong connectors.

He wanted to spend less then even 300 he's current pc an old ex corporate desktop which is just not cutting it and making he's work harder, so can't really wait any longer hence getting the core bits even before a gpu.

Great caution is required when fitting a highend GPU to an older system. Much fire can happen particularly with Nvidia cards.

If the 12600KF is not assembled bundle, another thing to be aware of is that the 12400F has a usable cooler in the box, whereas the 12600KF doesn't come with one.

You're not planning to install the core parts in the old corporate desktop, right? I ask because they're often proprietary and even if the motherboard fits, you might find that it has a different front panel, incompatible headers and the PSU has the wrong connectors.

I'm donating some bits case fractal r6 psu corsair rm850 and cooler thermaltake tower unit can't remember which one.

The only part coming over from old pc is some newer ssd he upgraded recently.

Last edited:
I'm donating some bits case o11 fractal r6 psu corsair rm850 and cooler thermaltake tower unit can't remember which one.

The only part coming over from old pc is some newer ssd he upgraded recently.

Thats a nice case with solid acoustics, but air flow might be a little too restrictive with the R6.

Last edited:
Their last build lasted them 7 years so most probably by the time they need/want to upgrade they will do a whole new platform.
could be they not that educated in pc's ability to be upgraded..also if going intel, uprading is always limitied due to the tick tok upgrade where you have to get a new motherboard ever 2 years

could be they not that educated in pc's ability to be upgraded..also if going intel, uprading is always limitied due to the tick tok upgrade where you have to get a new motherboard ever 2 years

The next intel chip is not going to be on lga1700 which I get. I don't think they are looking at super high performance from this build and I was trying to stay in their budget. Personally I don't think I've ever upgraded one component in one of my own rigs before, maybe ssd but I end up changing all the hardware every 12 months or so.

I think they know you can upgrade a pc but they are just cheap. He normally games on PS5 but with his friends all getting gaming pc's now and moving away from console, he also wants one.

The next intel chip is not going to be on lga1700 which I get. I don't think they are looking at super high performance from this build and I was trying to stay in their budget. Personally I don't think I've ever upgraded one component in one of my own rigs before, maybe ssd but I end up changing all the hardware every 12 months or so.

I think they know you can upgrade a pc but they are just cheap. He normally games on PS5 but with his friends all getting gaming pc's now and moving away from console, he also wants one.
They're getting a 4070super in your previous messages, and that's not super cheap. A 12400 or 12600 with ddr4 will give a lot of performance away. Just look at hardware unboxed vid today...admittedly using a 4090 but scales accordingly, just fps will be differencent. A 14600k with ddr4 gives 30% increase in fps compared to a 12600k...use ddr5 and that jumps to 50%.... no point going for a old CPU, and 12th gen is old now with a 4070super in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom