Useful Freeware Utilities

Well, I suppose we have, but I'm sure there is the odd one waiting to be discovered to get into our list...

Just finishing off going through the list Edward78 posted...
Goodo. :) Any new stuff?

Do we have a section for this? Are there actually enough decent, free podcatchers to make such a section worth it? I don't really get on with iTunes and so don't bother with podcasts but if there was another prog out there I could use I might try out podcasts more willingly. :)

Hi Marc,

Any new stuff?

Yes, there was actually, can't remember offhand what they are called, but got a number from it...

Do we have a section for this?

No we don't have a section for this yet, but what I thought I would do is create a new section called:

"RSS Readers/Podcatchers"

Just for the rss readers and podcatchers.

What do you think?

EDIT: Have just added that new section in the list...

Last edited:
Dear jbloggs,

You've catalogued something like 1500 items of software, which is remarkable!

I would recommend FreeRAM XP Pro to 'General Utilities And Other Applications:':
http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/

Would it feasible to adjust the text colour of a fraction of the software within each of the categories to reflect some kind of recommendation? This could be useful for people arriving at this post looking for 'useful freeware utilities'.

Regards,
Sparky

You've catalogued something like 1500 items of software, which is remarkable!
Only 1500?! Pfft we've only just started. :p

Would it feasible to adjust the text colour of a fraction of the software within each of the categories to reflect some kind of recommendation? This could be useful for people arriving at this post looking for 'useful freeware utilities'.
Like say the 'best' three highlighted in a gold/silver/bronze kind of thing?

Hi MarcLister,

Only 1500?! Pfft we've only just started. :p
:D

Yes that sort of thing would be great (!) but that assumes that you major contributors have a feel for that across such are large amount of software.

If, say, you're working on a catalogue then I wouldn't expect you to have such knowledge but if you've been thinking about the utility of the software as you went along then your experience would be very valuable for people finding this thread.

For example, whilst the big list made it easy to see if you were missing any software I use, I don't realy want to trawl through 1500 hyperlinks to find a few new goodies ;) This would be worse for nubies who would have the most to gain from all your hard work.

Sparky

Last edited:
Hi Sparky:

Would it feasible to adjust the text colour of a fraction of the software within each of the categories to reflect some kind of recommendation?

Yes, something along those lines could be done in the future...and were the sections are long, maybe doing a few for each colour, as there is generally more than just one (of each) for each colour...

The sections are laid out in such a way as to cover as many types of utilities as possible, without having lots of individual sections, so finding a decent utility should not be too difficult...

Hi jbloggs,

If it could be done in the future, that would be great! It is easy to find a relevant section.

I suppose what I mean was that if you wanted anti virus software for example, there are 34 options, which leaves a few questions:

1) Which should I pick?
2) Which in list performs well in tests and which doesn't?
3) How would I know or be reassured I had picked a reasonable one?

For the above questions, expert opinion would be valuable. OK, anti virus might be a bad example because there's much room for miss-placed anger and disappointment if a PC then got infected.

However, there look to be a median of 32 entries per individual section (9-229; mean 53) and the above questions would be relevant to the other sections too. That said, you can see by the date I joined that I am new to this community and so I wouldn't want to have too much weight put on my opinion. :)

Regards,
Sparky

Back
Top Bottom