User CAL / Device CAL

Soldato
OP
Its just that I know of a certain place with more users and PCs than CALs :)
Isn't there a process for Microsoft to identify these kind of things?
Surely number of CALs activated can be detected and number of users/PCs connected to a server can be also detected by Microsoft!

Soldato
Microsoft can come in and do a 'trueing' up exercise, not sure how legal it would be for them to gain entry if you just refused, but pretty sure they could get in somehow. A lot of NHS trusts are going through this since the end of their uk EWA, some trust are getting bios in the hundreds of thousands..............

Soldato
OP
hmm reading about true up, it seems like it is only for "Customers enrolled in a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement"
I guess every one enrolls on a EA automatically when installing a server product!

Soldato
There's loads of MS software agreements depending on what and how you buy! For just server with CALs I wouldn't expect any big issue, but when you start buying multiples of anything a select or EWA can become a cheaper option. I've got a whole day put aside in a few weeks to learn about the new SQL licencing model....... Oh joy!........

Associate
All software licensing is important. IT is such a big part of business now the software estate of an enterprise can make up a large chunk of it's value as a company. Lots of people get very ****ed off if they find out you're worth more than you say you are. Under licensing on software is effectively that, the bankroll shows you bought £1m of software licenses, you are actually using £1.3m of actual software because you didn't keep ontop of licensing. Can have serious implications when KPMG start snooping about your books.

Back
Top Bottom