Using an Android tablet to interface with your PC

Soldato
I'm looking for one or more applications that will allow my Android tablet (Fire 10) to interface with my PC. Don't mind paying one-offs for licences, but I'd rather avoid ongoing subscriptions.

One of the most important aspects would be an interface like a control panel, that I can use as an additional input for gaming and other applications.

Here's what I'd like to do ideally:
  • Mirror Android display to Monitor, windowed. Bonus if I can interface with K&M
  • Custom Interface to act as an input device - ie. control panel for Elite Dangerous
  • Access files on the PC, play videos, open documents etc
  • Extend desktop to tablet display, like a 3rd monitor

I'm unsure if the above is even possible. I've found a couple of apps that allow the controller thing with a server, but either had no luck with the interface, or getting it working.

Any help is really appreciated; I'm a bit stuck.

Last edited:
Associate
I suspect this isn't best placed in GD really but you never know. I don't really platy around much with android and pc as a combo these days, our house is full of iPads out of compatibility/software need (education mostly, has been for years).

My mind will be blown if that last one is possible without some serious wizardry.

Interestingly I think a monitor my daughter was using could act as a KVM switch for tablets/mobile but I'm not sure if it the one she has now or the one she returned. I can check if it is interest.

I haven't played E.D on PC for several years but I used Roccat Power Grid on an old Samsung mobile as an touchscreen interface, along side Voice Attack and that helped make up for a lack of flight stick setup for most functions.

I don't know if Power Grid is still about but it was easy enough to customise functions with a nice layout.

Soldato
OP
I suspect this isn't best placed in GD really but you never know. I don't really platy around much with android and pc as a combo these days, our house is full of iPads out of compatibility/software need (education mostly, has been for years).

My mind will be blown if that last one is possible without some serious wizardry.

Interestingly I think a monitor my daughter was using could act as a KVM switch for tablets/mobile but I'm not sure if it the one she has now or the one she returned. I can check if it is interest.

I haven't played E.D on PC for several years but I used Roccat Power Grid on an old Samsung mobile as an touchscreen interface, along side Voice Attack and that helped make up for a lack of flight stick setup for most functions.

I don't know if Power Grid is still about but it was easy enough to customise functions with a nice layout.

Was meant to be General Hardware mate, my bad. I've flagged it, thanks for pointing it out.

Roccat Power Grid has been discontinued iirc, I tried a couple of other apps, but no good. Shame as PG looked excellent.

Associate
Was meant to be General Hardware mate, my bad. I've flagged it, thanks for pointing it out.

Roccat Power Grid has been discontinued iirc, I tried a couple of other apps, but no good. Shame as PG looked excellent.

That is a shame. Keep meaning to get back into it if I get a GPU sorted out and PG would have been my go to.

Soldato
OP
That is a shame. Keep meaning to get back into it if I get a GPU sorted out and PG would have been my go to.

Did some digging mate, definitely gone. Still being shared , but doesn't work on 64bit operating systems.

It's really the thing I want to do the most, but cannot find an alternative that works well!

Soldato
OP

Prepare yourself then matey I believe I've found two: first one does wired or wireless, second is wired only. They're SpaceDesk and Splashtop Wired XDisplay.

From what I can see, you can extend or mirror your desktop, and wired is the preferred method to avoid lag.

I'll try them. All being well, that's one down :D

Last edited:
Associate
Prepare yourself then matey I believe I've found two: first one does wired or wireless, second is wired only. They're SpaceDesk and Splashtop Wired XDisplay.

From what I can see, you can extend your desktopz and wired is the preferred method to avoid lag.

I'll try them. All being well, that's one down :D

Well stone me :D. Hope they prove fruitful.

Interesting about Roccat P.G. as I always used it inconjuction with Win 7 64bit. Is it 10/11 that is an issue? I wonder if I still have a copy on a USB somewhere!?

Soldato
OP
Well stone me :D. Hope they prove fruitful.

Interesting about Roccat P.G. as I always used it inconjuction with Win 7 64bit. Is it 10/11 that is an issue? I wonder if I still have a copy on a USB somewhere!?

That's very interesting indeed, maybe the 32bit thing is a red herring. I'd love a copy if you have one mate!

Associate
I will have a mooch around when I get the chance later and let you know. Hoping I didn't do the unthinkable when I needed to make a PS4 recovery drive a couple of months ago :eek:.

Edit:

@WantoN Bad news, looks like I did nuke a load of old gaming related files including that one. I must have had it in my head I could just download it again if I needed it. I still have my personal config files on my system but not a full install sadly.

I did come across two alternatives that may be worth researching, no idea of ease of use etc.

LEA Extended Input and Gameglass (this appears to be more of a commercial offering than the first one).

Sorry I couldn't help out more than that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom