• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Using HDMI and DisplayPort outputs of the same GPU at the same time

Caporegime
Hi all

1650 Super user here with what I think is a fairly niche use case?

I basically need to get both HD audio into my receiver (Yamaha YSP-2700) from DisplayPort and Gsync-friendly UHD graphics from HDMI into my LG CX OLED from the same GPU at the same time.

This will allow me to have the maximum graphical and audio goodness possible, without having to buy a next gen GPU with HDMI 2.1 and a new receiver with eArc.

My 1650 Super, which is being used in my HTPC, only has one HDMI output, so before I buy a cable / adapter that converts DisplayPort output on the GPU to the HDMI input on the AV receiver, will this work?

I believe DisplayPort carries audio, so the only question should be whether the same GPU can output video and audio to different destinations at the same time, yes?

Thanks!

Associate
That’s how I’m running my HTPC as my AV receiver doesn’t support 4K the only difference is that I’m running two HDMI cables one from RX 570 to TV and the other from integrated GPU to AV receiver for audio. You have to have both screens enabled for it to work.

Caporegime
OP
Yes you can do this, see my post here and read the thread for more information.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33258024

Wow, thanks. Adapter ordered from eBay for £2.55. If this works I'll be ****-a-hoop! Especially vs. the alternative of shelling out for expensive new kit or having basic sound.

I've read that thread and it sounds very promising. Shame that such faffing is necessary mind.

Hoping there aren't too many niggles with the "extra display" in Windows.

That’s how I’m running my HTPC as my AV receiver doesn’t support 4K the only difference is that I’m running two HDMI cables one from RX 570 to TV and the other from integrated GPU to AV receiver for audio. You have to have both screens enabled for it to work.

I tried to get my iGPU (3200G) to work in conjunction with my 1650 Super for ages, but the required BIOS settings (iGPU multi monitor) just didn't seem to exist on my motherboard (Asrock B450 Gaming).

No matter what settings I changed and drivers I installed, it just wouldn't detect AMD HDMI audio with the dGPU installed, so I gave up and took to OcUK... fruitfully it would appear!

Soldato
@Radox-0

Did you ever sort out the problem you referenced here when using the split PC signal with ARC also connected?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33559549

Just wondering if this is a 'thing' that's common or if it sorted itself out?

Cheers.

I did not in the end get it sorted if I set up that triangle connection. But could have been limited specifically to that setup. I do still on my main PC use DisplayPort to monitor and a HDMI to a av receiver and worked flawlessly for years. Only difference with that setup is there is no other device involved going into say AV receiver then from that in to TV.

Since then for living room setup my receiver got eARC update and TV can pass through LCPM with update too. So plug everything direct into TV then eARC from TV into receiver.

Caporegime
OP
I did not in the end get it sorted if I set up that triangle connection. But could have been limited specifically to that setup. I do still on my main PC use DisplayPort to monitor and a HDMI to a av receiver and worked flawlessly for years. Only difference with that setup is there is no other device involved going into say AV receiver then from that in to TV.

Since then for living room setup my receiver got eARC update and TV can pass through LCPM with update too. So plug everything direct into TV then eARC from TV into receiver.

Ok cheers. Great that your receiver got an eArc update! Wish that would happen to my YSP-2700.

I'll give it a go (HDMI + DP + ARC at the same time) and see if it works with my setup anyway.

Caporegime
OP
Update @VincentHanna @Radox-0 (sorry to tag :p):

£2.50 passive HDMI --> DP adapter arrived in the post today, and after a bit of faffing with inputs and multiple displays in Windows, I have 60Hz RGB 8bit HDR with G-Sync enabled, plus lossless audio via the DisplayPort output from the GPU to my sound bar! Thanks for the help.

Couple of questions though:

1. Which of the following is considered best for an all-round gaming and video-watching HTPC (limitations of my 1650 Super it seems):

- 60Hz RGB 8 bit (HDR)
- 60Hz 4:2:2 10 bit (HDR)
- 120Hz 4:2:0 8 bit (HDR)

...correction, the 120Hz mode doesn't appear to support HDR.

?

2. Is there any way to get round having to extend the displays in Windows? It's annoying as stuff goes off the side etc. I've tried duplicating and disabling one display, but this either reduces the available resolutions or buggers up the sound.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update @VincentHanna @Radox-0 (sorry to tag :p):

£2.50 passive HDMI --> DP adapter arrived in the post today, and after a bit of faffing with inputs and multiple displays in Windows, I have 60Hz RGB 8bit HDR with G-Sync enabled, plus lossless audio via the DisplayPort output from the GPU to my sound bar! Thanks for the help.

Couple of questions though:

1. Which of the following is considered best for an all-round gaming and video-watching HTPC (limitations of my 1650 Super it seems):

- 60Hz RGB 8 bit (HDR)
- 60Hz 4:2:2 10 bit (HDR)
- 120Hz 4:2:0 8 bit (HDR)

?

2. Is there any way to get round having to extend the displays in Windows? It's annoying as stuff goes off the side etc. I've tried duplicating and disabling one display, but this either reduces the available resolutions or buggers up the sound.

Thanks.

I recall reading this article on RTINGS which explained it to dummy me as not an expert on the matter: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling it sounds like outside of gaming, there is not much impact moving from 4:4:4 to the others. But 10-bit is better then 8 Bit. On that basis I would likely opt to using 60hz @ 4:2:2 10bit for your settings I think. will mean with media there is no need to tweak settings and with games, I imagine 60 FPS will be a good target for the GPU to reach on the CX. May mean text at time is hard to read, but prior to my OLED found using 4:2:2 was still more then legible.

As for the extend windows, afraid not :( Like yourself quickly found duplicating and disabling does not work. Fortunately used to it now having had this method in use for 5 years now. In Nvidia control panel I make the monitor representing the AVR absolutely tiny in NV control panel. I then position it in an a corner which means your not often going to go off the screen, if you do its at a very precise spot and even if you do manage it, the AVR screen is so small, your mouse wont travel too far before hitting its theoretical edge. Like so:

o0MSssH.png

Back
Top Bottom