Using laminate worktop as a desk

dal

dal

Associate
Hi, so I've ordered a length of 40 mm thick laminate worktop that I will cut to size and use as a desk.
I've since read that it's not recommended to fit worktop right up to a wall because of expansion.
Now the worktop I've ordered will span the gap between 2 walls which is 2.5M. Do you think this will be ok being as it will be in a bedroom and not subject to the sort of moisture you'd get in a kitchen. I was planning on chasing out the wall a bit and sitting in about 5 mm into the wall.
Also does it need to sit in the house for a few days to acclimatise like laminate flooring ?

Cheers

Soldato
You could also cut it slightly shorter and use a coloured silicone around the top edge. If the worktop is smooth rather than riven then you could use some masking tape and a fugi tool to get a sharp finish to the silicone so that it looks like a solid continuous bead.

Soldato
...moreover - will need supporting in the middle though, per earlier threads ?
can't really see why you would damage the wall as opposed to a screwed on batten.

Soldato
Even with it supported by wooden battening rear and sides it will no doubt need some support across the width. You can get adjustable legs in Ikea or use a set or sets of desk drawers or 2 drawer filing cabinets.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
...moreover - will need supporting in the middle though, per earlier threads ?
can't really see why you would damage the wall as opposed to a screwed on batten.

Will be setting into wall so as to be flush with wall and yes will support the front with breakfast bar legs

Soldato
At most just leave a 5mm or less gap each side and you will be fine. There won't be much expansion at that span, if any at all. When fitting a kitchen you only leave a small gap, enough to be covered by a tile.

Soldato
Surely it expands across the grain, not along its length? So just leave a few mm gap and caulk if need be. No need for such invasive work on the wall.

If it's chipboard it'll expand more along the length as it doesn't have a grain, but not enough to need slots cutting in the walls. Someone could probably do the maths, but i'm guessing the expansion will be negligible at that span in a bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom