Using laptop as desktop. Will it overheat

Associate
Hi all

Got a decent laptop which has served me well and has a 1650 gpu in it.

Thing is ive broken the screen and cant afford a replacement. I am very short on space only having a small desk which laptop was on.

Battery life is not good on it so it's always plugged in.

My question is i have a 22 inch monitor thats not used. Could i connect this to the laptop and pick up a wireless kb/m and connect it all up and put the laptop out of the waywith the lid closed.

I would just keep putting laptop in sleep mode when not used.My concern is with the lid being always closed will the machine overheat.

And is there any other issues i have not factored in ?

Thanks

I would think it will be OK. The cooling system on the laptop is unlikely to be affected by the lid being down. If the laptop has some vents somewhere for cooling, make sure there is a bit of space around them wherever you put the laptop. Once in sleep mode, the laptop should cool down. If the laptop gets very hot during use, I might wait for it to cool down if I was going to leave it switched on and unattended. Personally I usually switch my laptop off when I go out.

Hi all

Thing is ive broken the screen and cant afford a replacement. I am very short on space only having a small desk which laptop was on.

My question is i have a 22 inch monitor thats not used. Could i connect this to the laptop and pick up a wireless kb/m and connect it all up and put the laptop out of the waywith the lid closed.

I would just keep putting laptop in sleep mode when not used.My concern is with the lid being always closed will the machine overheat.

Thanks
It would be absolutely fine, the fans don't generally suck from the top, they suck from the bottom and blow from the side, in most cases anyway.

My brother did this years ago on the biggest piece of crap laptop when we were kids for gaming for years and never had any issues. I'm sure a modern one will be more than up to the job.

In fact, a company I used to work for pretty much everyone did this with two screens.

It would be absolutely fine, the fans don't generally suck from the top, they suck from the bottom and blow from the side, in most cases anyway.

My brother did this years ago on the biggest piece of crap laptop when we were kids for gaming for years and never had any issues. I'm sure a modern one will be more than up to the job.

In fact, a company I used to work for pretty much everyone did this with two screens.
Thanks

Thanks how do you go on about setting up the laptop to only use the external screen at all times and the broken screen on laptop always being off ?

Thanks how do you go on about setting up the laptop to only use the external screen at all times and the broken screen on laptop always being off ?

Normally you would connect the monitor to the laptop via whatever connection the laptop has (DP or HDMI), then right click on the desktop and go to graphics properties to set up the monitor config. If the laptop does not autosense the monitor, this might be a problem for you, seeing that your laptop screen is broken, as you then won't be able to configure it.

Last edited:
Normally you would connect the monitor to the laptop via whatever connection the laptop has (DP or HDMI), then right click on the desktop and go to graphics properties to set up the monitor config. If the laptop does not autosense the monitor, this might be a problem for you, seeing that your laptop screen is broken, as you then won't be able to configure it.
Cheers

I can still see 70 per cent of the laptop screen ..i knocked it off the side and it hit the floor and has a crack with weird colours now lol .

Useful Windows shortcut to manage desktops even blindly.
Win-P, then up-down arrows switch between PC screen (main) / Duplicate / Extend / Secondary screen
(if on Win11, its Win-P then TAB, then up-down arrows)

My concern is with the lid being always closed will the machine overheat.

People have been using docking stations for decades - you'll be fine. Just make sure the air intakes and vents are not blocked.

BTW screen replacement is often not difficult and quite cheap. What is the make and model of your laptop?

Last edited:
It will definitely overheat with the lid closed, so either remove the screen, or get a replacement, a quick google for Medion erazer e10, lots of suppliers starting at £24, surely worth a punt.

Hi all

Thanks
Depends on the make. I can see on my laptop there are vents just below the screen.

cheers not confident on fitting it though ,, set up monitor and purchased a ms k400 keyboard with trackpad built in and all seems good. no temp rises and on the plus side ive also been able to connect my switch to the other hdmi port

It will definitely overheat with the lid closed, so either remove the screen, or get a replacement, a quick google for Medion erazer e10, lots of suppliers starting at £24, surely worth a punt.
No, it won't, I don't understand comments like this. Notebooks are designed to be used with the screen closed. As mentioned in this thread, people have been using docking stations for years without ill effect.

Laptops with additional gpu's cant even run with the lid open without overheating or turning into a leaf blower, nearly all of them. Yes a dock with the lid closed on a integrated gpu notebook running Word/browser etc will be fine. The erazor e10 isnt a notebook it's a gaming laptop with mediocre cooling. However if the op is happy then all good.

Laptops with additional gpu's cant even run with the lid open without overheating or turning into a leaf blower, nearly all of them. Yes a dock with the lid closed on a integrated gpu notebook running Word/browser etc will be fine. The erazor e10 isnt a notebook it's a gaming laptop with mediocre cooling. However if the op is happy then all good.

This laptop has intake venting from the bottom and exhaust ports on the rear and side. Having the lid closed should have no detrimental effect on the running of this particular laptop, providing that there is no blocking of the intake. It's also worth noting that this laptop doesn't have the A cover (lid) that lifts the rear of the laptop to aid in cooling.

Mb8EhoB.jpeg

9wNtPRe.jpeg

392dXBx.jpeg

Last edited:
Physics is physics, heat rises. Extra material such as a screen over the keyboard will and does insulate, and hinders heat dissipation/convection.
If the op is content with the way things are, I can't see what your issue is ?

Physics is physics, heat rises. Extra material such as a screen over the keyboard will and does insulate, and hinders heat dissipation/convection.
If the op is content with the way things are, I can't see what your issue is ?
No issues here, I understand where you're coming from, but in this case I see no reason why there should be any thermal issues given the venting configuration on this device.

Back
Top Bottom