Using my own 3rd party extension on temp covered car?

Soldato
I committed to buying a car for my wife for passing her test, which due to covid has been delayed.

I've already paid for the car and the dealer kindly offered to store it till the day of my wife's test. The plan was to setup insurance etc and take her to it direct from her test as a surprise.

The dealer now needs it collected on the prearranged date.

Part of the route is a 20min stint on a motorway.

Can I get temp cover for my wife with L plates but then still drive the car myself using my own insurance's 3rd party extension and just swap drivers for the motorway bit?

Associate
Your third party extension will likely only apply if the car has a separate active insurance policy on it, so unless it's insured you cannot drive it TP using your own insurance.

Call your insurance and ask about a temp policy, or look for a temp policy for it, or take out a full policy on the car for when your wife eventually passes.

Soldato
OP
Unless it's for work or an essential journey, she can't drive on L plates anyway at the moment. Best thing is to probably just drive it yourself and insure it using something like Cuvva?

https://bit.ly/2Nq0l1y

That's pretty much gonna be the game plan I think.

It was more to let her drive her own car off the lot & have a bit of a 'practice' drive as she's not been able to continue lessons either.
Your third party extension will likely only apply if the car has a separate active insurance policy on it, so unless it's insured you cannot drive it TP using your own insurance.

Call your insurance and ask about a temp policy, or look for a temp policy for it, or take out a full policy on the car for when your wife eventually passes.

There would be an active policy, one that only lasts 24hrs

Soldato
Where are you storing it once you get it back? If anything happens to it once it’s in your possession after that it won’t be insured will it?

Just insure it for the year in her name and add you as a named driver, when she passes tell the insurance company and they will refund the difference or change the premium if your paying monthly.

Soldato
OP
Where are you storing it once you get it back? If anything happens to it once it’s in your possession after that it won’t be insured will it?

Just insure it for the year in her name and add you as a named driver, when she passes tell the insurance company and they will refund the difference or change the premium if your paying monthly.

Straight into my garage when it gets here till she needs it. It's only a mk1 focus that I picked up cheap.

I don't see the point in a full year's insurance till she's passed her test. We're still 2 months away from her new test date, the 3rd date she's been given as the previous 2 have been cancelled due to restrictions.

As suggested above I'm just gonna get temp cover for me and she'll just have to be a passenger.

Back
Top Bottom