Using non-OEM batteries...

Soldato
Would you use non-OEM batteries in your camera?

I'm after a spare battery for my camera and can pick up a generic copy for less than a 10er, compared with silly prices for an original.

Is it likely to be a problem? I'd assume not as long as it's the same voltage and maH rating as the original?

I can also only charge a battery whilst it is in the camera and on the dock...

There are loads of people registered in Hong Kong ( :( ) on ebay selling changers and batteries together cheaply... about £15 including postage. Performance of the battery isn't really much of an issue to me, I'm just a point and shoot/holiday photo type of person, so it not lasting quite as long as an original or not charing the camera flash as quick or something wouldn't bother me....

example auction: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Charger-Batte...614520808QQcategoryZ50518QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy has over 15,000 feedback, 99.8% of which are positive....

Soldato
I know lots of people use them without problems, but I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. The potential to screw up my equipment for a saving of £30 ish is not worth it in my opinion.

I'm sure most people have no problems with them at all. But you lose your warrenty and piece of mind.

olv

olv

Soldato
My 10D came with the original and 2 other no name batteries, both of which are fine. Actually i've never used oned one of them as i've never needed more than 2 fully charged batteries at once, but i've never had any problems.

Associate
Me too, orderd a couple from a uk seller over a year ago for about £10 each and last longer than canons own that came with camera. We have a 300D and a 20D and used them for 20 weddings, 15 or so portraits and 2 school proms last year so can't fault them at all.

Soldato
I got my camera second hand. I got two official batteries with it. Unfortunately, I only get a few hours use out of each of them. So I bought two unofficial batteries from a web shop @ £15 for the two and they both work like a dream.

I have had no problems with them whatsoever and I don't think I should really, they have the same voltage as the standard official batteries (7.4v) and the same 1500mAh, so unless there is a serious flaw, I don't think anyone should get any problems.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

I use a no name in my 350d as well as an official Canon battery, no problems what-so-ever from either.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I use two unofficial ones and a Canon one, all are fine though the unofficial ones last longer.

As for batteries invalidating your warranty, how the hell are they going to know, even if it *did* break the camera (which it cant really?

Back
Top Bottom