Using PC through TV in next Room

Fel

Fel

Associate
OK - I want to be able to use my new build through TV in next room.

TV and PC are separated by plasterboard wall so I was intending drilling a discreet hole through the wall and just plugging PC straight into spare HDMI slot on TV.

I have bought 2m QED HDMI to Mini-HMDI cable to connect from 5870 to the plasma.

Main issue is controlling PC from living room - this will be mainly to show slideshows/video but wouldn't mind trying some games through TV.

Have tried my ageing Logitech G7 wireless mouse and that is not good looking for other ideas (that don't involve lifting floorboards or chasing holes in the wall). Wireless Remote desktop is an option from laptop - but not sure this will be any good for gaming.

Any other ideas welcome

Soldato
Why not use a USB extension lead to bring the wireless receiver for your old mouse closer to the TV. I'm not sure if you can use 2 mice on a PC at the same time though.

You could buy a PC remote control, these devices use Bluetooth or infra red to allow you to move the mouse pointer, open and close programs, shut down etc remotely. I use one to watch Movies on my PC as I have a wired mouse and keyboard.

Associate
Bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse or a bluetooth remote.

Logitech Dinovo Mini is good but expensive.Has really good range.

edit:Have you an iPod touch or iPhone?You can control with that.

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
Some more testing with the able assitance of my wife has proven that the mouse will work the PC from the Sofa at far end of room (if a little flaky). This will be good enough to handle the slideshows but will look at Bluetooth option if I can persuade wife to stop watching tv and let me try some gaming - just to see what it looks like through 50" Pioneer ... haha :)

Soldato
There's also a great android app to control it too, similar to the Iphone versions you basically use your mobile screen as a trackpad and use the phone keyboard to type stuff.

Soldato
Yes +1 for this if you have an iDevice and can't be bothered to run a second mouse/keyboard into the other room. I already use my iTouch to control VLC Media Player and it works anywhere in the house as it uses wifi and some of the Apple services to operate.

Associate
One option would be to get an integrated keyboard with trackball and just run the cable for this through into your TV room then you have both mouse and keyboard control from the single piece of hardware.

You could probably get this cable through the same hole you are drilling for the TV connection

Rgds
Binty

Back
Top Bottom