Using shims to fit a 1" fork in a 1"1/8 frame.

Soldato
Not been on a bike for years but the GF wanted me to get back on a bike so we could go on rides together, I still have my old bike with a broken frame but it has a set of perfectly functional Rock Shox Judy XC Long Travel forks and some other bits like Mavic D521 rims which I want to re-use.

I bought a GT Avalanche 3.0 on e-bay the other day for £80 and intend to use my rims & forks however it appears it is impossible to get a headset for the fork that will fit the frame due to the 1" steerer.

The fork that came with the bike is shot and the rims are nasty looking things.

Now I have found adapter shims for using stems on the thinner 1" steerers but would there be any problems using the same shims to adapt the steerer at the two relevant points to thicken out the steerer tube, I am happy to weld them in place if needs be?

Am I safe to do this or am I likely to end up needing new teeth?

Soldato
Soldato
OP
The fork currently fitted to the bike is an SR Suntour and it feels stiff and is really noisy. My Rock Shox is silent as it was properly serviced and has the proper springs for my weight.

Soldato
Given the potential for catastrophic failure of either the fork, or the frame due to stresses potentially being all in the wrong kinds of places, I'd really recommend against it.

Yes, it will feel like a shame to 'waste' a reasonable Rockshox fork, but you can't put your teeth back in place ;)

Soldato
OP
Having looked at the fork, shims & headset I have decided to go for it. The shims give a much larger contact area than if they were not there and the stress points have not moved at all, trial fitted it tonight & it all appears to fit nice and snug.

An alternative plan was to tig weld the shim to the base plate of the headset which would basically just mean 1/8th of an inch of Aluminium would have been added to the inner parts once cut down. Seems to be not necessary however.

Soldato
I thought the judy was always a budget fork?

Seems a lot of faf when you can just buy a similar one the right size for £60-80 that fits properly?

Soldato
OP
If i remember correct they were £399 but i got them for £200 as the new years stuff was coming out so they were selling them all off.

If i remember correct they were sort of mid range, you had the boxxer & SID then about 4 models of Judy fork and then the Indy range of forks and the Quadra range below that.

It's fitted now and fully shimmed up so i have essestially just put an aluminium sleeve over the entire steerer. Besides adding a tiny bit of irrelevant weight i don't see how there can be any issues.

This is temporary though as i have decided to get some new forks at xmas as i want a remote lockout. At the same time i want to swap the front to hydraulic disc to match the rear.

Soldato
OP
I'm not convinced it will break, if anything the tube should now be stronger as it is now thicker than it was, as well as bending/breaking the steel headtube there is now an eigth of an inch thick aluminium tube over it, and it's a tight fit, there is no play and it can't move without removing the stem first.

The only issue i could see is if i hit something in a manner that would normally bend the steerer tube, but now it should be more resistant to bending I suppose there is the possibility of tearing the crown clean off the fork instead.

I'm sure it'll be fine 'til December.

Soldato
OP
You will be pleased to know I have not died riding this bike, or lost any teeth.

And for the people that suggested getting an el-cheapo new fork, I have tried the GF's bike with an SR Suntour fork fitted, no thanks as it may as well just be a rigid fork.

That said I have a Manitou Minute Comp fork arriving in the morning, new lower headset bearing (tapered) with an XT Hydraulic disc setup, new front hub and a load of spokes.

Old fork is on E-Bay :)

Back
Top Bottom