Using ultrawide, how did you react

Permabanned
I have a monitor which is ultra wide 21:9 ratio, which is taking me time to adjust to. I had to tweak my xbox 1 x to overscan to work with the ratio, does it look stretched? I'm not really sure lol. What I'm finding is my eyes are really being blown away by the sheer size close up. I sit about 4/5ft foot back from it to try take it all in. Did anyone else have the same initial reaction, a lot gaming in 3440 x 1440p, is it mind blowing or if im not blown away already, go back to a 32" 1440p 16:9.

Permabanned
I am not sure whether it is down to the format or just the sheer size of a 34" monitor. I have to confess that in some games it's definitely good to get that extra width for the HUD, especially games where there is a lot of stuff like an MMO that you want on the screen but not cluttering the main character/action area.

Soldato
I simply thought 'this is too narrow i want more information at the top and bottom of my view' and i sold my alienware 34" to buy a 32" 16:9 monitor lol. It took no time to adjust to for normal viewing as it is just giving you extra on the sides not stretching; but do consoles support ultrawide? i'd imagine in your case it probably is just stretching the picture?

Associate
I simply thought 'this is too narrow i want more information at the top and bottom of my view' and i sold my alienware 34" to buy a 32" 16:9 monitor lol. It took no time to adjust to for normal viewing as it is just giving you extra on the sides not stretching; but do consoles support ultrawide? i'd imagine in your case it probably is just stretching the picture?
Nope, consoles do not support UW. It just displays centre with black bars either side.

As for the UW experience, it really depends what games you are into, to be honest. I think Destiny 2 PVE is fantastic on an ultrawide - I feel totally immersed - competitive shooters, nope - I drop down and have black bars. It's too overwhelming and you miss stuff. Where they shine though, is Sim racing and flight sims.

Soldato
I like both ultrawide 34" 1440p 144htz & my 32" 16.9 1440p 144htz monitors. Luckily I have more than one set up so I use both, but I cannot use multiple monitors on one desk (well not at home anyway) Takes time to adjust initially and for me about a month. I unfortunately like both types for different scenarios so it has cost me at least double.

Eventually I hope to upgrade both to 4k variants, but I think that's 2025 territory for my pc monitor fetish.

Permabanned
OP
My 1X has to overscan to meet the 3440x1440 resolution but at 60hz, and it only shows black bars either side if I drop the 1X at 1080p at 120hz.

I still am unsure whether to keep it or go down to a 32" 2560 x 1440 so it looks nicer and less taxing on a new GPU

Back
Top Bottom