UWE ResNet

Man of Honour
Looking to go to UWE very soon and am just wondering what this system is like.

I've looked through the FAQ on the UWE IT Services ResNet section and it says

ResNet FAQ said:
Can I play internet games?

You should be able to connect to gaming servers. If you have any problems check the games manual to see if the game requires the network proxy address (cache.uwe.ac.uk port 8080) in order to connect.

but then in the "Discussion" section of the ResNet bit there's a discussion open asking for Counterstrike to be unlocked...

So really I'm just after some clarification on this, as it's almost certain that someone's viewing this from ResNet right now :p

Also any comments on the service and how you find using it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Associate
Depends what kind of proxy server that is. If its just a web proxy then no. If its a socks proxy you maybe able to run a game through a program like sockscap which will "socksify" the game and force all the traffic though that proxy. However all games wont work like this. It sounds they have outbound rules set in their firewall to block all traffic except that on port 80, most universitys do this. It's not really feasible for them to allow games because when a game makes a connection to a server its assigned a random port from the tcp/ip stack which will usually be 1024 upwards. So to allow games they would have to open up a fairly big range of ports on their outbound rules.

Associate
I doubt it is 100% true, probally they mean games that allow you to specify proxy servers to use which most dont.

Best way of getting games working in your halls is read up on socks5 proxy tunneling etc, i used to pay wow from my uni connnection this way.

Back
Top Bottom