VAG 2.0 TDI drivers

Man of Honour
Is it just me, or do most drivers of cars with this engine, particularly Audi A3's, A4's and Golf's seem to think that they are driving some kind of rocket ship, just because they have a little bit of torque? The amount of times over the past few years where they are sat in the outside lane like they own it and then put their foot down and cover me in smoke to try and show that they are a faster car is laughable. Also on roads where lanes merge it's typically one of these sorts of cars pulling up in the outside lane trying to nail everyone off the lights. :confused:

Don't get me wrong, IME it's not limited to VAG engines, but it's the type that seems to stick out.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah not a bad point mate, didn't think about it that way. It's typically Audi drivers that stick in my mind though.

Soldato
All the more reason to have a petrol engine with just as much if not more torque than them to pull away from without looking like a squid that's just crapped itself and set off it's ink/smoke defence lol

Caporegime
Just ordinary people in a hurry to get somewhere. I doubt they're trying to particularly impress you. Unless you're really good looking op?

You notice Audis and Golfs more because they're so common, not because driving one inherently makes you drive like a rectum.

Soldato
All the more reason to have a petrol engine with just as much if not more torque than them to pull away from without looking like a squid that's just crapped itself and set off it's ink/smoke defence lol

got a real life lol from me :D Makes me laugh when you can visibly see a remapped diesel driver trying to race someone, because as soon as they are passed by another car, the chimney opens!

Soldato
It's generally the remapped ones that do. Go on youtube and look up a remapped fabia VRS (the old 1.9pd one). Those things are powered by coal.

Associate
Never hit its 4k redline then?

Actually if you don't drive like a retarded nun (5th gear at 30mph, etc) and give it some beans every now and then most modern diesels running properly will not smoke under heavy acceleration, at most you'll get something barely visible rather than some massive cloud.

This is only true for older or poverty spec diesels. Post 2005 a lot of cars have DPF's which although a lot of money to replace when they go pop they also ensure that there will not be any smoke at all coming from the exhaust no matter what.

Soldato
Also on roads where lanes merge it's typically one of these sorts of cars pulling up in the outside lane trying to nail everyone off the lights. :confused:

Rather than just queuing up like they should leaving the other lane clear? ;)

Problem with merge in turn is that it relies on the person on your left not having the "pushing in" mentality. The only way to not run the risk of this is to get away first. I even do it in our gutless Punto if I'm at the front of the queue, worst case the other driver tries to "race" and then there is enough of a gap to just drop in behind. Match their speed and the chances are that there will be some OAP sat staring straight ahead 2mm off the bumper of the car in front leaving you no where to go.

I must admit though it has got much better since they put up the merge in turn signs but you still get the odd tool.

Back
Top Bottom