VAG 2.0 TDI PD engines

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Are these really as bad as everyone says?
I know the old 1.9 PD units are bulletproof but I've been reading some horror stories when it comes to the 2.0 PD unit (BKD/BMM/BMN)

What's the difference between the BKD and the BMM unit anyway?
BKD is Bosch injectors (no problem) and BMM is Siemens injectors (stay away)?

Is this just a case of people complaining on forums when their car breaks as opposed to not breaking, or is there substance to these claims?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm inclined to think the difference between the BKD and BMM units is that one has a DPF, the other does not. Naturally you want to avoid having one where possible.

In my experience they are not necessarily unreliable but you should still have money aside for any injector problems and you want to also keep an eye on the DPF above 100k if you do decide to go for one that has it. Once over 100k mine was being a right pita, with frequent regenerations.

Soldato
BMM comes with a DPF, this was an option with the 140 engine and a rare engine as nobody (rightly) paid the extra for it in the UK at least.

The early 140 PD engines (2004-2006) had problems with porous cylinder heads leading to slow coolant loss which can be hard to detect on a second hand car as they can go a couple of weeks before the low coolant warning comes on.

All the VAG PD engines had problems with the injectors but VAG replaced all of them and the loom for free, if the car has not had these you can still take it to a dealer and they will swap them out FOC.

The PD engine was never designed for a DPF to be fitted which resulted in a lot of problems when a DPF was fitted as they produced more exhaust soot, in the end they issued a dealer fix which involved knocking 20bhp off the 170 PD output to reduce soot levels !

The newer CR engines were designed for the a DPF and has far fewer issues.

Soldato
I think the injector recall was only on the 170 models.

Mine is a 170 BRD engine.

Injector and loom done FOC
DPF, EGR and EGR cooler removed - physically removed rather than mapped out.
Mapped for the above and upped the boost a bit

Turbo went in November due to the oil filter not being changed. It also went through coolant quite a bit but the garage that did the turbo put something in the system overnight and whatever it was worked as I haven't topped up the coolant since.

Having said all that I really do like my car.

My mum has an A4 140 auto and its been faultless.

AFAIK - the issue is with the early 140 engines and the plastic impeller in the oil pump getting clogged. By the time the oil light comes on its too late.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the injector recall was only on the 170 models.

Nah, it was definitely on the 140s too.

the 2.0 TD does have a (deserved or not, I've experienced it unfortunately) reputation for lunching the turbo at approx 100k. If you are looking at one in this mileage range make sure it's been faultlessly maintained - there are quite a few too many horror stories on the various VAG forums of these going and it's a £1k bill at least. It also seems to depends on how the car has been driven: If used as a motorway muncher they seem to be fine, however if it's been used as a "stop-start" commuter walk away from it seems to be the advice.

Soldato
Why would a turbo be 1k? That figure always gets banded about for turbos and it seems to be a worry item for people but a reconditioned unit is normally around 350-500 and fitting is generally a couple of hours. Clutch and flywheel or injectors wouildnalmost always cost you more

Never done a newer vag but we done a mates mk4 gti turbo in a few hours, its generally not a difficult job.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would a turbo be 1k? That figure always gets banded about for turbos and it seems to be a worry item for people but a reconditioned unit is normally around 350-500 and fitting is generally a couple of hours. Clutch and flywheel or injectors wouildnalmost always cost you more

Never done a newer vag but we done a mates mk4 gti turbo in a few hours, its generally not a difficult job.

correct. and injectors can be a real arse when it comes to removing as well. whereas pretty much anyone can fit a turbo

B@

Soldato
Had a 2.0 TDI (140PS) passat S 2005 plate - it came with 80k on the clock but had a massive bill list - new turbo etc - was the best car I've ever had - no problems what so ever. 3 years solid, sold it with just over 100k on the clock.

Literally just when I had sold it (2 days after) I got a recall letter from VW which I passed on to the new owner. They had identified injector issues and offered to change the loom and injectors for free.

I now have a 2.0TDI (140PS) passat 2007 plate (Sports model this time) - 52k on the clock. I'm pretty sure its got a DPF and thank God don't suffer any of the problems reported. Had the usual full service & timing belt from a local garage and because I had recieved the letter about the recall (for my previous car) I contacted my local VW dealer - they said to bring it in and they'll check it. They replaced all the injectors and the loom for free!.

That being said - the clutch was going on this one (blame my missus) so I had a sportier clutch and DMF fitted at the same time (eek £500!) and a remap done.

Overall - I'm REALLY pleased with the 2.0TDI VAG engines - other than the injector issue (which I never suffered and VW resolved free for me) - no major problems with the actual engine. I just don't like the extra diesel tractor sound from my newer passat compared to the old one :(

Passat is a heavy car though and sups quite allot around town (journey to work is only 2.5 miles) - on the motorway its awesome.....

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Hmm, seems to be a mixed bag of comments..
Basically I've seen a fully loaded A3 140 Quattro which looks interesting.
It's bright red with cream leather and naff wood inserts though :/

It's either that or an old 1.9 PD I reckon..

Associate
early bkd ones had porous head, been revised 4 times i think so far. Oil pump is another known weakness which will normally take out the turbo when it goes. Injectors are ok on it.

They have a motorised flap on the intake system which is made of plastic and goes brittle over time but apart from that they are ok. Would prefer a good pd130 over one anyday though

Alex

Back
Top Bottom