Valve announces the SteamDeck

Is that through some kind of Hack to sideload it on,?
Nope. Its a pc so you would just install it the same way you install Windows on a new pc and it'll work. You will need the storage space of course.

As others have said, I believe windows isn't on it as standard simply because of costs. Would add another x amount per device to have windows, which is still easily possible for those that want it.

Soldato
Not interested in this. Unless it's got the grunt to last a few years then it's a, no from me. Its a no from me right now. Impressive yes. Worth it. No. My opinion anyway. Stay safe

Soldato
Have to say I'm a bit disappointed that it's using zen 2 rather than zen 3 especially since most people won't get theirs till next year by which point that's almost 3 year old architecture.

Associate
Have to say I'm a bit disappointed that it's using zen 2 rather than zen 3 especially since most people won't get theirs till next year by which point that's almost 3 year old architecture.

Better/faster would be great but cost, availability and power draw are all factors in choosing an APU for a product like this. Zen 2 variants are in the PS5/XBSX and whilst this won't be as powerful as those, it'll be competitive with last gen and in a handheld form-factor.

Soldato
Better/faster would be great but cost, availability and power draw are all factors in choosing an APU for a product like this. Zen 2 variants are in the PS5/XBSX and whilst this won't be as powerful as those, it'll be competitive with last gen and in a handheld form-factor.

I appreciate all that and I'm sure it will be up to its indented use, just think it's a little bit disappointing to announce it this far ahead. If it was available right now it would make more sense.

Associate
Nope. Its a pc so you would just install it the same way you install Windows on a new pc and it'll work. You will need the storage space of course.

As others have said, I believe windows isn't on it as standard simply because of costs. Would add another x amount per device to have windows, which is still easily possible for those that want it.
Umm that is a benefit I guess, but its weight and future proofing for me combined with the controls/weight I think I would just find it too heavy and cumbersome. I would rather get a gaming laptop, I wouldn't really have any uses for this product anyway. I can see it might be good for the kids in the back of the car on the way to a holiday though, weight is a big issue though.
Didn't you know that Linux is actually better than Windows in this day and age ;)
True though, it does look a little bulky, but then it probably better for comfort as the hands will just mould around it like a game controller. This is unlike the switch of course which is too thin and skinny. Not sure if the weight will be an issue. We shall see once we get our hands on it. Even if it does prove uncomfortable for lengthy gaming sessions, i'll still keep mine as use it as a portable linux box
Yes, on some things I prefer Linux (Macosx actually for me) , for PC gaming I prefer windows. Saying that though I haven't tried gaming on a Linux based system and I don't think I want to. I would rather spend the money on gaming laptop and know that there is some future proofing going on.

Associate
Saying that though I haven't tried gaming on a Linux based system and I don't think I want to.

For Linux-native games (thin on the ground compared with Windows) it's identical - you download Steam, install it, install your games and play them. Proton is the interesting part though - it's based on WINE and is a translation layer to run Windows executables under Linux. Currently the compatibility is spotty but impressive (see the ProtonDB: https://www.protondb.com) - Valve are giving the impression though that Proton running on SteamOS 3.0 is going to offer much greater compatibility than it currently does - I'm really curious to see if they can deliver on that (especially as that'll feed back to desktop Linux too).

Associate
For Linux-native games (thin on the ground compared with Windows) it's identical - you download Steam, install it, install your games and play them. Proton is the interesting part though - it's based on WINE and is a translation layer to run Windows executables under Linux. Currently the compatibility is spotty but impressive (see the ProtonDB: https://www.protondb.com) - Valve are giving the impression though that Proton running on SteamOS 3.0 is going to offer much greater compatibility than it currently does - I'm really curious to see if they can deliver on that (especially as that'll feed back to desktop Linux too).
I've not heard of Proton, I think I might be a bit set in my ways.:D Most if not all of the big games will only be on Windows though won't they?

Associate
You just know that Valve has, and is continuing, to put loads of effort into SteamOS 3. There's going to be no worries at all about the level of performance and compatibility.
Also, based on Arch and KDE Plasma desktop environment is definitely the way to go. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see games running better than under Windows. Some already do.

Getting sick and tired of Microsoft this point TBH, which is why my PC is booted into my Arch Linux partition the majority of time.

Associate
Most if not all of the big games will only be on Windows though won't they?

Well, the games running on Linux under Proton are 'only on Windows' - Proton makes it possible for Windows games (pretty much any Windows game) to run in Linux - see here for the ProtonDB page on Resident Evil Village (a 2021 Windows release with Denuvo DRM that people are running successfully in Linux): https://www.protondb.com/app/1196590

Associate
The Phawx (YouTuber who gets the handheld PC devices before most) says it is about 2x performance wise over the GPD Win 3 and the Aya Neo.

Looking at the performance those machines can output, this device will be much better than many are giving it credit for.

Also it is much cheaper than both those devices.

Associate
Well, the games running on Linux under Proton are 'only on Windows' - Proton makes it possible for Windows games (pretty much any Windows game) to run in Linux - see here for the ProtonDB page on Resident Evil Village (a 2021 Windows release with Denuvo DRM that people are running successfully in Linux): https://www.protondb.com/app/1196590
Cheers will take a look at thst
Valve are working on Proton with the mission to have all games working for launch, Proton is already really good.
Sounds like a mission!

Soldato
The Phawx (YouTuber who gets the handheld PC devices before most) says it is about 2x performance wise over the GPD Win 3 and the Aya Neo.

Looking at the performance those machines can output, this device will be much better than many are giving it credit for.

Also it is much cheaper than both those devices.

If true, this will be phenomenal! But, as I said before, by the time this comes out both of those other models would have already evolved further.

To me it's not a worry about whether games will run on this or not, as for sure there will be so many, the few that don't aren't an issue for me.

The worry is how will they look on a 7inch screen. Someone on here pointed out recently about text etc being so small on thar sized screen.

Every game on the switch is designed for a switch screen, that can scale to a bigger screen. Not a single game on the steam store is designed for this sized screen.

Soldato
To me it's not a worry about whether games will run on this or not, as for sure there will be so many, the few that don't aren't an issue for me.

The worry is how will they look on a 7inch screen. Someone on here pointed out recently about text etc being so small on thar sized screen.

Every game on the switch is designed for a switch screen, that can scale to a bigger screen. Not a single game on the steam store is designed for this sized screen.

Yep that was me.

Putting aside playing playing FPS using a combination of trackpad/joycon.
Or controlling mouse via trackpad.
The biggest bug bear for me will be the size of the screen and how the text would appear.

In my heart, I know buying this would be just to satisfy the inner child.

Its such a great time for younger generations to experience the video games world I have to say...

Back
Top Bottom