Valve announces the SteamDeck

Associate
Nice nice. Thank you for the reply.

Well according to that reddit trick I'll call it. Since last Thursday I've jumped from 56% of the way there to yesterday 84% I could be next week! Well I hope so lol.

I ordered Wednesday 21st July 2021 for the 512 in the UK. I'm excited.
the way its jumped the in the last little bit I wouldn't be surprised if you get your email on thursday

Soldato
Not sure I get the need for a wireless K&M for the Deck. The whole point is that it’s portable, a K&M defeats the whole purpose of that. :confused:

If I want to use a fully functional PC I’ll use my desktop PC instead.
I tend to agree with this too, although mobile gaming is just that, on the bus, train, plane etc ....

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I tend to agree with this too, although mobile gaming is just that, on the bus, train, plane etc ....

Well I’m out of the country at present but have decided that if I need to use a K&M for anything I’ll just connect the set I use for my PC temporarily instead.

However, I can understand that using the onscreen keyboard for much might persuade me to to use a proper keyboard for a time instead.

Shame mine turned up the afternoon before I went on holiday and I’ve got poor broadband or else it would have come with me.

Associate
@monkeyspank - brilliant thank you.

Just to clarify the need for a keyboard, its by no means a necessity - entirely dependent on your use case, which games you want to play and if you are going to tinker.

I purchased my deck purely with the view to pick up and go; no intention of using a keyboard but learned otherwise. I think for the official 'great on deck' supported games you are good to go, its when you delve into other games.

Whilst (hopefully) the majority will work, they are (as of yet) not 100% deck certified. I found the touch screen works, only it wont always register your inputs because some in game menu selections are quite small and can take ages selecting. I also found for some working games, you need a keyboard to escape to the games main menu. Yes, you can play the game but you can't escape to the options screen - meaning you have to exit the game completely losing progress and start over, which quickly grows old.

Other posters may beg to differ, this is simply my experience and knowledge so far. :)

Reactions: HRL
Associate
Sigh.... looks like I may have to RMA my deck. Left haptics motor doesn't appear to be connected to the touchpad, leading to *really* weak feedback even when set to highest vibrate setting. :(
I've read about this and it actually seems to be a common problem. Might want to try a full reset or reimaging of the OS before RMAing as I think it's a software problem.

Can you feel the vibrations when typing on the on-screen keyboard using both trackpads?

Soldato
I've read about this and it actually seems to be a common problem. Might want to try a full reset or reimaging of the OS before RMAing as I think it's a software problem.

Can you feel the vibrations when typing on the on-screen keyboard using both trackpads?

I opened a support ticket. Just waiting to hear what they have to say.

Associate
Only had it for about 3 days but I love it so far. Went for the 512GB version as the games I like to play tend to take up a lot of space. Already filled up 650GB of a 1TB SD card.

Annoyingly the two games I'm playing 99% of the time on the PC are Destiny 2 and The Division 2 which don't work on steam os due to the anti cheat, played them on a Windows 11 install and they ran very well on the deck. Mainly going to play some older AAA games that I've never got around to and messing about with emulation which the deck handles effortlessly.

Really is a great little system for gaming or even desktop use if you want to with a mouse and keyboard. For the base price you can't go wrong.

Bought a little foldable keyboard and a USB C hub which does 4K 60hz so it makes desktop use way easier.

I bought a 256gb sd card for windows 10 and destiny 2, it works just like pc, just make sure everything is set to low/off, I do have AA on though.
I followed this YT vid its really easy. Once you install Destiny, steam will recognise your steamdeck as a controller and it'll work flawlessly.

Anyone tested a decent battery bank that can charge it whilst playing? My old Anker one I bought for the switch isn’t up to the task!

I bought a Baseus Power Bank, 65W 20000mAh USB C Portable Charger from amazon. It works very well and you can take it on a plane if you're traveling.

Associate
Could I ask someone to run the FPS benchmark map on CSGO? Using all low settings, shadows high, at 1024x768?

You'd think this would be an easy Google but it seems like it isn't.

I'm a big CSGO player and weighing up a cheapish gaming laptop or sticking with my work laptop and getting a Steam Deck to use docked for CSGO

Did anyone do this? I'll give it a whirl if not.

Edit... Not sure where the results are at the end of the test (I've not done this map on csgo before). Seemed to average about 90fps. Power draw was about 18w, so 2ish hours of battery at those settings.

Resolution you wanted wasn't an option. Only 4:3 it allowed was 640x480. I left it in 1280x800 native.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone been using the heroic launcher for epic and gog? is it good?

I have to use it as I have a few games on Epic and it really works well. I setup heroic via the desktop mode, entered my Epic details and logged right in and downloaded my games. Completely effortless.

Tried out SnowRunner as a test and once downloaded it ran great. For quick access to heroic I added a non steam shortcut to the Steam client so that it shows up as a shortcut in normal UI handheld mode for easy access.

Don't have any gog games so can't test that part of it but it should be just as easy to use.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm having a bit of a mare with installing GOG games using Heroic, it's fine with Epic stuff, but the installs keep hanging when installing Ghostrunner and Cyberpunk. There's definitely activity going on as I can see in System Monitor that Heroic is using the network, so I gues I could just wait, for hours, while thy do there thing with no eta of completion.

Soldato
I'm having a bit of a mare with installing GOG games using Heroic, it's fine with Epic stuff, but the installs keep hanging when installing Ghostrunner and Cyberpunk. There's definitely activity going on as I can see in System Monitor that Heroic is using the network, so I gues I could just wait, for hours, while thy do there thing with no eta of completion.
Try Lutris instead.

Soldato
Did anyone do this? I'll give it a whirl if not.

Edit... Not sure where the results are at the end of the test (I've not done this map on csgo before). Seemed to average about 90fps. Power draw was about 18w, so 2ish hours of battery at those settings.

Resolution you wanted wasn't an option. Only 4:3 it allowed was 640x480. I left it in 1280x800 native.

Thanks for that. Strange it won't let all resolutions, I wonder why. 90fps seems very low.

Soldato
Only had it for about 3 days but I love it so far. Went for the 512GB version as the games I like to play tend to take up a lot of space. Already filled up 650GB of a 1TB SD card.

Annoyingly the two games I'm playing 99% of the time on the PC are Destiny 2 and The Division 2 which don't work on steam os due to the anti cheat, played them on a Windows 11 install and they ran very well on the deck. Mainly going to play some older AAA games that I've never got around to and messing about with emulation which the deck handles effortlessly.

Really is a great little system for gaming or even desktop use if you want to with a mouse and keyboard. For the base price you can't go wrong.

Bought a little foldable keyboard and a USB C hub which does 4K 60hz so it makes desktop use way easier.

Play it on Stadia or Geforce Now for the time being.

Soldato
Had this thing almost a week, and all I've done is **** around installing games from multiple launchers and organising my SD card lol. It's great for messing around with and all the other distractions from gaming that PC master race is all about..

Back
Top Bottom