Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
Ugh, I wish I hadn't pulled out of my 256GB order last month. I was busy and had no time to play and thought I'd save some money by getting the 64GB version and upgrading the memory myself. But now I find myself with time and a big backlog of games. I should have just bought the damn thing.
Now I'm Q4, and probably mid-late December :(

Soldato
So they won’t send me a new fan as they ‘advise’ against opening the unit up as it could effect the warranty, even though they worked in conjunction with ifixit to make spares and made it really accessible haha… They have sent me an RMA but read a few bad things online about it coming back with other problems etc. Not sure if I should send it back and potentially wait a month or more or just wait for ifixit to get the fans in stock
Hah, I did RMA because I could not stand the fan noise (unit was perfect otherwise) and got new unit with new serial number...and the same terrible fan..though otherwise perfect too.

So for me RMA was meaningless, but you might have better luck.

I just play with headphones now, waiting for the hyuang fan to be in stock.

Soldato
Hah, I did RMA because I could not stand the fan noise (unit was perfect otherwise) and got new unit with new serial number...and the same terrible fan..though otherwise perfect too.

So for me RMA was meaningless, but you might have better luck.

I just play with headphones now, waiting for the hyuang fan to be in stock.
How long did it take you for your new unit to come back?

And that is exactly why I’m still on the fence wondering what to do as the unit seems perfect other then the rattling fan.

Apparently ifixit are expecting stock in the next few weeks as they’ve had them on back order (I emailed them asking if they had a notify service, which turns out they are working on one).

Associate
Same, never had the whine, the exhaust spits out heat but I take that as good thing, nothing so far as uncomfortable or worrying.
Much the same. I take it as pretty good design that for as hot as it gets its all get dumped away from me, my hands don't even get noticeably hot

Associate
I discovered Vampire Survivors on the Deck. Jeez, that's half a day I'll never get back!

Any other suggestions for similar indie "pick up and play" games for the deck? 10-20 minute addictive train-journey sort of games....

Soldato
Put a kick stand on the back. It now stands up anywhere.

4lENxZw.jpg

What Kickstand are you using?

Got my 512GB! The etched screen is incredible. First device I won't use a screen protector.

The steam deck is actually.. making me play games!! which is more I can say for my gaming PC where I end up tinkering to god knows what end. remote play at 720p is also pretty good too. I can soemhow access my PC from anywhere in the world now via wifi!

Soldato
I dual boot, it’s easy and fast, like you said. I’ve not experienced any real issues, at all.
The touchscreen works flawlessly, track pads work, along with press.
Usb-c dongle takes all I/O just fine.
Any video tutorial mate? Did you do 256gb for Steam OS, 256GB for windows or install windows to an sD Card?

Caporegime
What Kickstand are you using?

Got my 512GB! The etched screen is incredible. First device I won't use a screen protector.

The steam deck is actually.. making me play games!! which is more I can say for my gaming PC where I end up tinkering to god knows what end. remote play at 720p is also pretty good too. I can soemhow access my PC from anywhere in the world now via wifi!

This one

ESR Boost Phone Kickstand,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FB5GWZZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Soldato
Any video tutorial mate? Did you do 256gb for Steam OS, 256GB for windows or install windows to an sD Card?

I followed this and streamlined it by using Ventoy and skipped the whole re-image Steamdeck part.

Back
Top Bottom