Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
Joined the club, ordered a 64gb Christmas eve arrived on the 30th also ordered a 1tb SSD but Amazon lost the parcel so I have 2 x 512gb evo selects on the way, also ordered a 512gb nvme drive.

Due to limitations so far installed and finished Stray, fantastic game also got mark of the ninja installed and Dishonored installed untill the upgrades arrive, going to then install windows alongside steam.

Enjoining it so far.

Associate
What nvme drive did you go for? Any worry about the power draw/heat? Have read a few reports that many replacement drives, draw more power and produce more heat, which can shorten the life of the battery and deck. Not sure what to believe.

Soldato
I have been very restrained for the Steam sale

Batman Arkham Origins - £3.74
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition - £17.19
Black Mesa - £3.74
FAR: Changing Tides - £8.24
Red Dead Redemption 2 - £18.14
Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered - £37.49
Against the Storm - £14.39

I have maybe one more purchase as Im considering Halo Master Chief collection as I am one of the few people who have never played any Halo game ever - it it worth it? Are the games any good?
I also saw somewhere that it might be possible with a bit of fudging to get Elite Dangerous working on the deck, I sort of hope so, and sort of hope not as there are not enough hours in the day for that addiction if it is still as good as I remember when I used to play
IF you have never played halo it is a total no brainer. my only issue with it is the net code when playing coop is a bit rubish. i get framerate issues when playing with friends. its still worth it tho for single player, and not everyone gets those frame issues

Soldato
IF you have never played halo it is a total no brainer. my only issue with it is the net code when playing coop is a bit rubish. i get framerate issues when playing with friends. its still worth it tho for single player, and not everyone gets those frame issues
Oh good, thanks for the feedback, I will buy while still on sale and it can go into my backlog to try out once I have completed Elden Ring

Soldato
Oh good, thanks for the feedback, I will buy while still on sale and it can go into my backlog to try out once I have completed Elden Ring
actually i just noticved the thread we are in... my thoughts about halo are in general.. i have not tried it on my steamdeck sorry, i thought we were just in the pc games thread.

so defo worth a buy on pc... but do some checking if getting for your deck!.

edit oh and elite dangerous no fudging needed............. 4.0 / Oddyssey works on the deck, i play medium settings on it. Horizons 3.8 ran better but that is no longer relevant now as it no longer ties to the live game.

i have only played on the small screen, hooking up to tv may show issues you miss on the mobile screen.... and there are some things i would NOT do on it (exobiology finding some of the plants on the small screen is hard). The controls all map really well however

For general trade, mission running long distance travel as well and general in system planetary scanning all work fine and the game performs surprisingly well given how less than impressive ED:O runs on actual cutting edge hardware.

i have not tried combat on it. i suspect it will be fine if you are used to combat on a screen with xbox controls. i play in VR with a hotas and dont have the inclination to learn detailed pad controls so i dont do combat on the steamdeck.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just in case anyone else is interested in Star Wars Fallen Order, even though it states it's unsupported, it runs perfectly fine on the Deck. It did download proton experimental with it however which does contain the fix to get it running.

Also noticed with my JSAUX dock I was getting random black screens when connected to the TV. Updated the firmware which fixed it but requires Windows to run the update tool.

Soldato
actually i just noticved the thread we are in... my thoughts about halo are in general.. i have not tried it on my steamdeck sorry, i thought we were just in the pc games thread.

so defo worth a buy on pc... but do some checking if getting for your deck!.

edit oh and elite dangerous no fudging needed............. 4.0 / Oddyssey works on the deck, i play medium settings on it. Horizons 3.8 ran better but that is no longer relevant now as it no longer ties to the live game.

i have only played on the small screen, hooking up to tv may show issues you miss on the mobile screen.... and there are some things i would NOT do on it (exobiology finding some of the plants on the small screen is hard). The controls all map really well however

For general trade, mission running long distance travel as well and general in system planetary scanning all work fine and the game performs surprisingly well given how less than impressive ED:O runs on actual cutting edge hardware.

i have not tried combat on it. i suspect it will be fine if you are used to combat on a screen with xbox controls. i play in VR with a hotas and dont have the inclination to learn detailed pad controls so i dont do combat on the steamdeck.
Damn
That is tonight taken care of then - I put so much of my time into The original ED, still have a ship out on the edge of the galaxy somewhere as my thing was exploring/scanning and dumping the data. I had a lifetime pass from the original kickstarter campaign, will start to look into this again as I loved that game. Had my hotas and I think it was voice attack so that I could control most things by voice..

Thanks for confirming, fun times ahead for me...

Soldato
Damn
That is tonight taken care of then - I put so much of my time into The original ED, still have a ship out on the edge of the galaxy somewhere as my thing was exploring/scanning and dumping the data. I had a lifetime pass from the original kickstarter campaign, will start to look into this again as I loved that game. Had my hotas and I think it was voice attack so that I could control most things by voice..

Thanks for confirming, fun times ahead for me...
just be careful flying back to the bubble, as you get close you may want to manually make sure you do not fly into any systems under thargoid attack..... they are actively hostile now in some systems and will make short work on an exploration build. thankfully the compromised systems all show up on the map so you can navigate past them.

if you want to do the on foot stuff new in Odyssey you will have to get back to civilisation to buy a weapon and space suit. and am done derailing now.

oh and halo.............. not sure if still on offer but the 2 halo twin stick shooters were 49p each on stream and they are well worth it and i can confirm DO work really well on the steamdeck.... (well the 1st one does, not played the 2nd yet but it should do)

Last edited:
Associate
Just in case anyone else is interested in Star Wars Fallen Order, even though it states it's unsupported, it runs perfectly fine on the Deck. It did download proton experimental with it however which does contain the fix to get it running.

Also noticed with my JSAUX dock I was getting random black screens when connected to the TV. Updated the firmware which fixed it but requires Windows to run the update tool.
A bunch of ea games are showing as unsupported at the moment due to the stupid ea launcher, but once you're past the ea launcher they work great

Associate
oh and halo.............. not sure if still on offer but the 2 halo twin stick shooters were 49p each on stream and they are well worth it and i can confirm DO work really well on the steamdeck.... (well the 1st one does, not played the 2nd yet but it should do)

Or buy both for 99p, wait....

I'll give these a try :)

Soldato
What nvme drive did you go for? Any worry about the power draw/heat? Have read a few reports that many replacement drives, draw more power and produce more heat, which can shorten the life of the battery and deck. Not sure what to believe.
BC711 SK Hynix 512GB NVMe PCIe M2 2230 it seems to be a good drive for the SD according to a number of places online. Reports are also from users after months of use.

Soldato
Elden Ring good on the deck ? Played it on the PS5 but debating a 2nd purchase so can play on the go!
It is absolutely fine - still amazed how playable it is. Im sure I have missed a few wow moments at some of the views by using a small screen but Im loving the game.
I changed my settings to the ones listed on steamdeckhq (not sure if I can link) and it has been rock solid for the 300 odd hours of playtime I have so far :eek:

Associate
Looking to buy a steam deck in the next few days is the 512gb premium version worth the extra over the other versions . I already have a 1tb ssd that will fit the deck just unsure if it’s worth the extra as I haven’t seen a deck in the flesh so to speak

Associate
Looking to buy a steam deck in the next few days is the 512gb premium version worth the extra over the other versions . I already have a 1tb ssd that will fit the deck just unsure if it’s worth the extra as I haven’t seen a deck in the flesh so to speak

The only difference (besides white zips on the case and a steam profile design) is the larger storage and the anti-glare screen. The storage is straight forward to upgrade. If you plan on putting a screen protector on it, you pretty much nullify the anti-glare coating anyway.

I went with the 64GB version with a 512GB micro SD card. Will upgrade the internal ssd eventually.

Associate
The only difference (besides white zips on the case and a steam profile design) is the larger storage and the anti-glare screen. The storage is straight forward to upgrade. If you plan on putting a screen protector on it, you pretty much nullify the anti-glare coating anyway.

I went with the 64GB version with a 512GB micro SD card. Will upgrade the internal ssd eventually.
That’s what I was thinking it seems a big increase in price for the screen and extra storage .

Caporegime

Note that the speed between internal SSD and Micro SD card is VERY VERY minimal in benchmarking and indistinguishable in use.

I got the 256G, just so it's NVME, and then put in 1TD micro SD. But the 64G internal one apparently (someone correct me if i am wrong) doesn't use the same SSD card slot, which is still free to add your own SSD in, so you can have 2 x SSD inside if you went for the 64G.

I also put on a screen protector too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom