Valve announces the SteamDeck

Permabanned
I am thinking of taking it to Japan, 15hr flight! Now that I have a screen protector on, I am much more relax about worrying getting it scratched. I don't really care scratching other parts and although you can replace the screen yourself, it's much easier to replace a screen protector or now, scratch a glass screen protector. The only concern really is protecting the sticks during transport in the bag if i don't use the official case, which is a bulky.
I would definitely use the carry case, it's not that bulky, you can put the charger in the back of it too.

Soldato
I am thinking of taking it to Japan, 15hr flight! Now that I have a screen protector on, I am much more relax about worrying getting it scratched. I don't really care scratching other parts and although you can replace the screen yourself, it's much easier to replace a screen protector or now, scratch a glass screen protector. The only concern really is protecting the sticks during transport in the bag if i don't use the official case, which is a bulky.

Something like:
or
?

Soldato
Just in the process of installing windows 11, hoping its going to make things a bit easier, steam, ea games, rockstar launcher, epic launcher etc etc was becoming a bit of a faff, had a mess around with emulation station last night on desktop and whilst not exactly as simple as emudeck wasnt too hard to setup

i installed the drivers in order that are on steams site, but I seem to have an awful lot of unknown devices still

Last edited:
Soldato
Just in the process of installing windows 11, hoping its going to make things a bit easier, steam, ea games, rockstar launcher, epic launcher etc etc was becoming a bit of a faff, had a mess around with emulation station last night on desktop and whilst not exactly as simple as emudeck wasnt too hard to setup

i installed the drivers in order that are on steams site, but I seem to have an awful lot of unknown devices still

Did you follow the wiki guide?

Soldato
It is absolutely fine - still amazed how playable it is. Im sure I have missed a few wow moments at some of the views by using a small screen but Im loving the game.
I changed my settings to the ones listed on steamdeckhq (not sure if I can link) and it has been rock solid for the 300 odd hours of playtime I have so far :eek:

you was right it does run amazing :D, also changed to those settings that’s a great site!

Have you done the mod to get rid of the black bars so it actually runs in 16:10?

Last edited:
Associate
Just recently got the JSAUX docking station and cant get the Ethernet port to work on the steam deck (desktop).
Everytime I boot the deck up and enter desktop mode I keep getting pop ups saying wired connection deactivated etc,
I have wifi on and tried to look through the settings to see if I can find anything regarding the wired connection but can’t see anything, apart from a “not in use” along side connections.

I have turned the wifi off on the deck and it just shows no Internet connection, I am up to date with all the updates with the steam deck.
Any suggestions would be very welcomed as I don’t really want my slow wifi when downloading games on the deck.

Soldato
Sabrent Rocket installed (Very easy) and Windows 11 installed (third try, get onto this in a minute) and it is working well. Need to do more tweaking but so far so good. SteamOS nicely tucked away on the SSD that came with the Deck so can easily switch back if I want to.

Now onto the fun.... Whilst Win 11 installed fine I simply could not get anything more than one monitor running with the latest APU drivers. Initially I thought this was my installer (custom to allow install on older devices), but retrying with both the normal 22H2 download from Microsoft, and my other installer used previously for the External & SD card installs, the problem persisted.

I even went as far as to boot up the external SSD install to see if I was going mad. Nope, 21H2 install of Windows 11 and the latest APU drivers.

Finally I decided to try the initial APU drivers and presto it all worked. I then re-installed the latest ones over the top (not a clean install) and it was still working.... Until it wasn't.

The issue I was experiencing was the two separate monitors (via Dock) were detected but not active (greyed out in the multiple monitor selection). Normal options of simply selected them and choosing "Extend to this display" just led to it reverting straight back. I could display on any one of the monitors (thus confirming the screen was detected) but not more than one. Attempting to troubleshoot this very annoying problem just lead to the usual useless "guides" or "solved answers" that don't help at all.

Back on the old APU driver for now but I did find another user who is experiencing the exact same thing:

One the plus side I haven't experienced any issues using the older driver for now and in performance in the games I want to play hasn't changed. Also the whole Windows experience is extremely snappy and only bogs down when the CPU comes under full load (note - don't try and do anything when downloading games on Steam @ 70+ MB/s (900Mb connection) whilst also simultaneously receiving Windows updates and Downloading on Xbox app (GamePass). CPU was pegged at 3.45Ghz 100% the whole time.... :eek::cry::cry:

Permabanned

wsmk31maaqaa1.jpg

Soldato
No, hadn't heard there was one, off to find it now....

Pretty easy to do, it just removes the black bars in game, doesn’t move the health bar or re size text etc but still worth doing imo.

Worth noting that it disables the anti cheat automatically so you do have to play in offline mode, but soon as you remove the launch option it goes back to normal.

Soldato
Just spent a bit more time tinkering and for me at least reinstalling the latest APU driver disables the external screens on restart (detected but not active).

Decided to try out High on Life and it runs surprisingly well at a mixture of High and medium settings, native resolution. 1080p is also do-sable if you can handle 30-40FPS during gameplay.

Also for the hilarity I decided to run Cinebench R23 on the Deck. Scored just under 4400 which puts it not too far off a 4c/8t 11th Gen Intel laptop CPU. Not bad, not bad..

EDIT, yeah, no.. Going back to my Steam OS boot drive for now. Too many annoyances cropping up to keep it running Windows all the time.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just spent a bit more time tinkering and for me at least reinstalling the latest APU driver disables the external screens on restart (detected but not active).

Decided to try out High on Life and it runs surprisingly well at a mixture of High and medium settings, native resolution. 1080p is also do-sable if you can handle 30-40FPS during gameplay.

Also for the hilarity I decided to run Cinebench R23 on the Deck. Scored just under 4400 which puts it not too far off a 4c/8t 11th Gen Intel laptop CPU. Not bad, not bad..

EDIT, yeah, no.. Going back to my Steam OS boot drive for now. Too many annoyances cropping up to keep it running Windows all the time.
WinDeck 4eva!

Back
Top Bottom