Valve issue?

Associate
Hi there I've been having an issue of what I thought was a vaccumm leak on my zx6r j1.
The revs are hanging like its lean and a rough idol.

I've gone over it and cannot find any leaks under the rubber carby boots or any where eles ,and I'm wondering if these could be valve clearance symptoms ? The valves have never been done it's now 24k on the clock. I cannot really here a knocking orbad sound.
No smoke and starts when cold or hot.
But problem seems a lot worse when hot .

Soldato
On a car, hanging revs and a rough idle can be caused by a sticky throttle body...presumably the same might apply to bike engines?
If so, you could try giving the butterfly plate in the throttle body a good clean with some throttle body/intake cleaner spray and see if that helps.

Associate
Spray some carb cleaner over the intake boots/joints while it's running. If the revs rise then you've found your leak.

Associate
Next is carbs then. Has it been sat a while or is it something that's started during use?

If it's been sat then start with fresh fuel, check air/fuel screw settings are correct and the carbs are correctly balanced.

Soldato
Hi there I've been having an issue of what I thought was a vaccumm leak on my zx6r j1.
I'm wondering if these could be valve clearance symptoms ? The valves have never been done it's now 24k on the clock. I cannot really here a knocking orbad sound.
No smoke and starts when cold or hot.
But problem seems a lot worse when hot .

Tight valve clearances will cause idling problems which get worse with increasing engine temperature, and will not make any unusual noises.

Is the throttle definitely snapping fully shut every time, no sticking due to worn/frayed cables or gummed up linkages? Another possibility is partially blocked pilot jets in the carbs.

Back
Top Bottom