vapo LS and a conroe?

Associate
Hi folks, just thinking of buying a conroe system and I'm right in thinking that as long as I use the lga775 mount kit, I should be fine? I'm looking at the E6600, I already have twin raptors and an x1900xtx, basically I'm wondering which ram to get and which motherboard? Looking at spending around £600 for processor, ram and mboard. There's no cold bug with intel? I've read a few of the threads on the conroe, but no one with phase seems to have one. Obviously I need a board capable of high ram speed to compensate for the lack of multiplier changes :(

Cheers for any help

Soldato
Can't answer your question im afraid, but im looking to do something similar eventually. Hoping to put a 6600 under a mach2 or a custom phase unit. From what ive read so far, it doesn't look like the Conroes have any coldbug at all.

Permabanned
the lga775 mounting kit should be fine IF there are no capacitors in the way on the motherboard. However that can be the case with some mobos. intels generally dont have any bugs.

Associate
Yep, the 775 vapo kit should fit fine. Personally I'd go for the e6700 over the e6600 for phase as you're going to run out of fsb on the e6600.

Associate
The ES step 5 e6700s and x6800s have been hitting around 4.4Ghz-4.6Ghz benchable on single stage, so I'd like to optimisticly hope for that on the retail chips. Joe Camel's retail x6800 has hit 4.55Ghz on single stage, but that's the only retail I've seen under phase.

The e6600 is going to be fsb limited on this cooling, considering you need 445fsb for 4Ghz, so that'll be dependant on what your motherboard can do. One can only hope for a 500fsb board at some point in the future. :)

Associate
OP
gah spending another 160 quid just for +1 on the multi has made me quite sick.. I'd prefer to spend it on better ram and motherboard tbh, at least that way I'll be able to have great clocks if i can buy a 6700 a little later for significantly less than 411 quid !!!

Anyone know what the best 775 mboard is at the minute for fsb's? I know i should trawl the threads on here and xtreme, but anyone got some to hand ??

I should add this will be my first ever foray with intel, it's always been too damn expensive!!!

TY again

Soldato
i've heard a few rumours, currently i think there has been some high fsb's hit on the gigabyte ds3 board (iirc around 500), but then i have also heard about the intel badaxe hitting some reasonable fsb's!

Back
Top Bottom