Variable Speed Limit Cameras

Man of Honour
Hey all,

A quick question and one I’m sure has been asked before. Driving home tonight and on the M25, going past a variable speed limit camera, there was no speed display as was the case for miles before. About 20 meters or so before I was about to go under it, it flashed up as 60. I had my kids in the car so didn’t want to slam the brakes on so just lifted off from 70.

Is there a grace period when it changes or is it in effect the second it pops up? Seems dangerous if that’s the case as drivers will feel the need to slam brakes on and cause accidents

A quick Google suggests 1-2 minutes grace period but that’s just old articles so not sure if that’s the case

Thanks,
Toby

Soldato
The exact number may depend on the district but I have seen a minute mentioned and that seems sensible. You are certainly not going to be caught as you are going below it as it changes.

It may still flash though as it will take a picture.

Soldato
There is a grace period, and if you lifted off from a speedo indicated 70 you probably wouldn't have set it off anyway as enforcement starts at 10%+2. Not sure how dark it was, but if it's anything but bright sunlight outside the flash from the camera is very noticeable so it's not something you'd easily miss.

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers guys, can stop worrying so much now :D

Didn't think of that as well about the 10% + 2, 70 shows as 68 in Waze anyway so by the time I lifted off, was probably more like 65-66 so likely wouldn't have triggered the camera anyway.

Back
Top Bottom