Varifocal wearers in here please.

Associate
As been said they have cocked up your prescription!
both sides should be right if looking at same thing as they balance lens for each eye why you have +/-
Getting wrong lens isn't something new they have cocked up many glasses
Varifocals take time to get used to re the graduated lens amount as you move head/eyes not that one side is different to the other.
so looking down would be different to looking up/high in the lens.
Looking to the side is a ******** on mine if try driving in them things get/look a bit wonky!

For PC use etc use reading type glasses which have a coating as trying to use varifocals just makes things awkward

Soldato
Hi I got varifocals about a year ago now
It took 3 pairs to get the damn things made right for me
I ended up with 2 pairs: 1st pair normal varifocals with react to light coating
2nd pair occupational varifocals ( as I use screens a lot for work) so I use these most of the time
pair 1 get used when not using screens eg driving, shooting and general out and about
total cost from spec savers was 360, went to independatn optician to get my prescription checked (was correct)
and similiar gear would have been about 700

It took a couple of weeks to get used to them

Commissario
OP
Time for an update.

Did you pay for standard or Premium?
The premium, most expensive lenses available.
I've been back and they made some adjustments to the fitting which helped but it still wasn't right. I've been back again and been checked again and they have got the PD wrong in my right eye plus they're shifting the aim point up a couple of mm as well.
They're remaking one of the pairs and if they're correct then they'll remake the other pair as well. I made it quite clear that if they're not right, I'll just keep going back.

As for getting used to them, I've had no issue with that, it's just the PD being out that has messed me up.

Soldato
Time for an update.

The premium, most expensive lenses available.
I've been back and they made some adjustments to the fitting which helped but it still wasn't right. I've been back again and been checked again and they have got the PD wrong in my right eye plus they're shifting the aim point up a couple of mm as well.
They're remaking one of the pairs and if they're correct then they'll remake the other pair as well. I made it quite clear that if they're not right, I'll just keep going back.

As for getting used to them, I've had no issue with that, it's just the PD being out that has messed me up.

Keep us updated and name and shame :D

Soldato
and they have got the PD wrong in my right eye plus they're shifting the aim point up a couple of mm as well.
some of these measures depend on how you position new glasses frame on your head though, on that day ?
albeit, maybe they have a poor process/training, and don't adequately inform the customer.

.. even the process for the prescription itself, the axis measure, for astigimitism, I find a bit subjective "which is better"

Soldato
I have just had my first pair of varifocals - been wearing them about 2 hours so far.

I'm undecided - I'm definitely not one of those people who just got used to them straight away though, that's for sure. My biggest problem so far is using my 34" ultrawide screen - I now have to move my head to see the edges of the screen easily rather than my eyes as the edge of my vision is blurry. Also moving my head makes the picture warp in the corners of my eye.

I guess I just need to persevere and see how I go.

Commissario
OP
What I hope is a final update.

The glasses with the correct PD arrived. They seemed fine in the shop but as soon as I got them home, I realised there was a problem. I could barely see my computer screens, I had to tilt my head back quite a long way and the actual area where the text was in focus was tiny, barely a couple of inches wide. They were unusable and in my mind, this was totally unacceptable as they were the most expensive of the varifocals they sell.

I went back the next day and spent quite a long time talking to the store manager. It transpired that in order to get a lens with the slightly moved PD, she'd had to change the lens supplier as the one who made my original ones wouldn't make one in my prescription that would fit the frames. We looked at different frames and realised that all I had to do was find a frame I liked which was 3mm narrower.

That was easy. I went back to a rimless design, very similar to the Silhouette mounts I've had for the last fifteen years or so, except about half an inch taller to cater for the varifocals. I picked them up at the weekend and bingo, all is good. They're comfortable, both long and near vision is good, I can read with them and I can work in front of the screen(s) with them.

Originally I'd ordered two identical pairs of varifocals on their two for one deal but have now decided that instead of a second pair, I'd get some prescription sunglasses (not varifocal). The two for one deal doesn't include the high index 1.74 lenses so originally I was paying for the first frame, the first pair of varifocal lenses and the extra cost of the 1.74 index lenses. The second frame and the second varifocal lenses were included and all I had to pay for was the 1.74 index. The replacement frames I chose were more expensive which meant I'd owe some more cash. When she was putting through the order for the sunglasses I said that if I had them at 1.67 index, that would just about cover the extra cost of the new frames and she said she'd absorb the difference and throw a lens cleaning kit thing in. I thought it was worth a try so I asked if she could make the sunglasses 1.74 as well. She agreed so that's saved me an extra £70.

Bottom line, I've got a pair of glasses I'm happy with and I'm getting a pair of cool shades for less than I should have paid.

Commissario
OP
As a final update, I picked up my sunglasses on Monday and they're bang on.

Wearing them has made me realise how bad my eyes are now for close up which I just hadn't noticed before. It also shows how quickly I got used to the varifocals because I don't even have to consciously make the effort to look through the correct part of the lens now, it just happens automatically.

I didn't mention the name of the company I got these from before but it's pretty obvious it was Specsavers. I can't fault their aftercare at all once my PD had been correctly measured and I've ended up with a pair of varifocals and a pair of prescription sunglasses that I'm very happy with.

Soldato
As a final update, I picked up my sunglasses on Monday and they're bang on.

Wearing them has made me realise how bad my eyes are now for close up which I just hadn't noticed before. It also shows how quickly I got used to the varifocals because I don't even have to consciously make the effort to look through the correct part of the lens now, it just happens automatically.

I didn't mention the name of the company I got these from before but it's pretty obvious it was Specsavers. I can't fault their aftercare at all once my PD had been correctly measured and I've ended up with a pair of varifocals and a pair of prescription sunglasses that I'm very happy with.

Glad you got it all sorted.

Back
Top Bottom