• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

vega 56 / 1070

Soldato
Eh Vega 56 has picked up a lot of speed in certain titles but still trails the 1070 in some titles so definitely worth checking benchmarks if you are playing any games specifically as over a broad range of games the Vega cards have very mixed performance.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1660_ti_gaming_oc_review,22.html

Apart from 1 game which is gta5 does the 1070 have what i would call a lead. In pretty much the rest it gets it's butt handed to it. The 1070 is now a tier below Vega 56 in almost all recent games. Fine wine or fine gimping, take your pick :D:D:D:D:D

This review was done only 2 days ago so up to date drivers.

Man of Honour
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1660_ti_gaming_oc_review,22.html

Apart from 1 game which is gta5 does the 1070 have what i would call a lead. In pretty much the rest it gets it's butt handed to it. The 1070 is now a tier below Vega 56 in almost all recent games. Fine wine or fine gimping, take your pick :D:D:D:D:D

This review was done only 2 days ago so up to date drivers.

Fair enough - though I notice in those results the 1070ti has gone from a ~8% average lead over the 1070 to ~12% at the same time not sure what is going on there.

This is the problem with AMD though - 16-18 months after release you are finally getting something like the performance you should have got for your money - about the time most people are thinking about upgrading.

I'm suddenly getting the urge to upgrade my 1070 (not really - all I play at the moment is The Division 1).

Soldato
Fair enough - though I notice in those results the 1070ti has gone from a ~8% average lead over the 1070 to ~12% at the same time not sure what is going on there.

This is the problem with AMD though - 16-18 months after release you are finally getting something like the performance you should have got for your money - about the time most people are thinking about upgrading.

I'm suddenly getting the urge to upgrade my 1070 (not really - all I play at the moment is The Division 1).

You could say that but my Vega 64 is pretty much matching a 2070 which still costs £450. That's what i paid for the Vega 64 a year ago with 3 free games. The performance when i got the card was good and it's still good now. Was the same with my 290 which lasted really well. I have no real need to upgrade my Vega as performance is holding up pretty well. I see it as a plus and not a negative as i feel like i am getting my money's worth the longer this card keeps up with the competition in it's price segment.

Soldato
I think that really only applies for Nvidia users, as their cards generally don't get games specific driver performance optimisation for new games once they become EOL.

AMD cards in general would be good for 1 more year comparing to equivalent Nvidia cards, due to the consistently improving driver over time and the more generous amount of vram together with bigger memory bus/bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom