• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VEGA 64 LC VS 1080ti or wait for Volta?

Soldato
Both my daughters boyfriends have XB1X's, so a bit of online Fifa with them would do nicely.

Not a bad shout on waiting and not sure when Volta will be released but I imagine prices going up further :(
a lot to be said for consoles, I bought a ps4 pro to give vr a go and gaming on it is pretty decent.
I think it's only keyboard and mouse for first person shooters that stopping me from giving up on pc gaming all together

Caporegime
a lot to be said for consoles, I bought a ps4 pro to give vr a go and gaming on it is pretty decent.
I think it's only keyboard and mouse for first person shooters that stopping me from giving up on pc gaming all together
I don't mind what anyone uses for fun (PS/XB/PC etc) but I love my PC gaming time. Me and the Mrs used to play Guitar Hero all the time on the PS3 and was great fun for both of us.

Associate
I would go for a Ti over Vega. There's not much difference in price but there's a difference in performance.

I paid £639 for mine, and as I only game at 1080p it should last me a year at least being able to max out most games.

While you could wait, I think some people forget the 1080Ti hasn't been out that long (not even a year old yet), it came out this year, so even when the next batch of Nvidia GPU's arrive the Ti will be the last to release.

As other's have said we're not quite there at 4k. Everyone is different but I don't like having to turn settings down, so I wouldn't want to game at 4k. If I wanted to game with compromises I'd go back to console lol.

I reckon the next Ti will be able to max most games out at 4k though.

Associate
I think you will find the 1080ti will last you for a few good years, look at how well the 980ti is still doing with the majority of games. You have to remember game developers go for the biggest markets and that is game consoles with the PC gamer being last in line.

Soldato
It's also worth remembering that the 780ti and 980ti compared very favourably with the 970 and 1070 respectively. So if you did buy an AIB 1080ti today you're not going to see it get convincingly beaten anytime soon. Yes the 1180/2080/whatever will perform better and probably (hopefully) for less money but not noticeably so, you're probably still looking at around half a year or maybe longer until the aftermarket 1180ti/2080ti hits.

Caporegime
OP
Yup I can't stand 16.9, no way could I return to it, just so squashed looking so I'll be running a custom 21.9 res on the 4k oled tv.

I think you will find the 1080ti will last you for a few good years, look at how well the 980ti is still doing with the majority of games. You have to remember game developers go for the biggest markets and that is game consoles with the PC gamer being last in line.

It's also worth remembering that the 780ti and 980ti compared very favourably with the 970 and 1070 respectively. So if you did buy an AIB 1080ti today you're not going to see it get convincingly beaten anytime soon. Yes the 1180/2080/whatever will perform better and probably (hopefully) for less money but not noticeably so, you're probably still looking at around half a year or maybe longer until the aftermarket 1180ti/2080ti hits.

No doubt it will last a good while but I don't want to be paying £640+ now only to find out a newer and improved card (with better low level API support etc.) arrives for £400 in <6 months time :p

Also, the only game(s) I am playing currently are BF 1 and a bit of SWBF 1 every now and then (and I would only play these type of games on my monitor with m + k anyway), just no good SP games and nothing upcoming that I can see of either :( So not much point buying something atm.

Caporegime
Fish eye is terrible. Widescreen fixer used to work when I ran 3 screens but not sure if that is still a thing or not. The games I play at 3440x1440 don't suffer with it, so not looked.

Caporegime
OP
Tried that resolution on my LG B6 and it's a no go even when using gpu scaling.

Why not?

It should work without any issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5avwkq/219_ultrawide_gaming_on_your_169_monitor/

Might be a little different now especially with amd software since UI etc. has changed.

Someone did a great comparison on their 43" TV years ago and obviously you have black bars on the top and bottom but the 21.9 effect (i.e. wide FOV without black bars) works just as it would on a 21.9 display.

Associate
Why not?

It should work without any issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5avwkq/219_ultrawide_gaming_on_your_169_monitor/

Might be a little different now especially with amd software since UI etc. has changed.

Someone did a great comparison on their 43" TV years ago and obviously you have black bars on the top and bottom but the 21.9 effect (i.e. wide FOV without black bars) works just as it would on a 21.9 display.

I know I should but it didn't back when I tested it. I'm running nvidia card tho (1080).
TV was displaying "no signal".
Maybe it was driver related so I'll try again tonight.

Caporegime
OP
I know I should but it didn't back when I tested it. I'm running nvidia card tho (1080).
TV was displaying "no signal".
Maybe it was driver related so I'll try again tonight.

Should work on both amd and nvidia.

Yup there has to be something wrong as there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

I'll be getting my TV next week and will be trying out custom 21.9 res. so I'll report back around then.

Associate
Should work on both amd and nvidia.

Yup there has to be something wrong as there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

I'll be getting my TV next week and will be trying out custom 21.9 res. so I'll report back around then.
Just tested it again and indeed it does work.

Associate
Yup I can't stand 16.9, no way could I return to it, just so squashed looking so I'll be running a custom 21.9 res on the 4k oled tv.

No doubt it will last a good while but I don't want to be paying £640+ now only to find out a newer and improved card (with better low level API support etc.) arrives for £400 in <6 months time :p

Also, the only game(s) I am playing currently are BF 1 and a bit of SWBF 1 every now and then (and I would only play these type of games on my monitor with m + k anyway), just no good SP games and nothing upcoming that I can see of either :( So not much point buying something atm.

For £400 if only.:D

Back
Top Bottom