Venice carnival ?

Soldato
Has anyone ever been there when the carnival happens? Seems to go on for a good month. We're looking to do a little weekend away and want to make sure it's not crazy at that time. Certainly flights and hotels don't seem more expensive than usual?

Also, lots of horror stories about poeple paying $70eur for a coffee and icecream. I'm assume if we do our research, stay away from the touristy squares etc. we'll be ok? Can you eat well enough without splashing stupid amounts? Or is everything expensive? We'd never order anything without seeing a price anywhere.. let alone in Venice :confused:

Thanks

Caporegime
All looks a bit "eyes wide shut" - might be fun to look at but unless you're going to one of the fancy balls or whatever then are you going to be overpaying on hotels etc... I wonder?

Also if you're going to get dressed up in one of those funny masks then really you ought to be sacrificing a virgin or attending and orgy or something... :D

Soldato
OP
lol. GD helpful as ever. What did I expect :p

Meh, we booked it. We shall see. Let's hope it all ends up a bit Eyes Wide Shut, no?

Soldato
OP
Well we're heading off soon. Booking some restaurants etc (whilst I'm desperately trying to organise a ski holiday too!)

Question, I love the idea of chicchetti on an evening. Should we even book any nice restaurants? There's loads of well rated chicchetti bars near where we're staying, but do they work like "small plates" restaurants over here (e.g. Polpo) or at they more like snacks, things on bread etc and not much else?

Back
Top Bottom