Venture Photography?

Soldato
We used a company similar to Venture that were in the Metro Centre one day.

We got 6 A5s, 3 A4s, and an A3 for £90 which wasn't that bad to be honest. Extra copies were only something like £4.95 per picture as well.

The quality was as good if not better than venture. Will have to try and remember what they were called - main office is based in Glasgow.

Please remember! The missus is really wanting to get a print from Venture, and we would have to make financial sacrifices to achieve it. I am unsurprisingly resistant to this idea!

Associate
unfortunately i will have to add ourselves to the list of Venture users and happy punters.

We went for our session about a year ago, and must say it was a great laugh, kids enjoyed the daftness of it. No staid posses or anything, more of a how your are naturally type of thing.

We spent (are you ready)................. £1400 :eek: :eek:for a total of 10 photos in two frames. Frames are 36" x 40" or so (large frames basically).

But the photos themselves were bloomin brilliant - No way on earth worth £1400 pounds (as regards to time/materials etc) but they are from a personal point - largest one is of our two children and takes pride of place in living room.

The blown out look of the photo's is deliberate, you either like that style or don't (a bit like marmite), in our case we did/do.

I'm into photography myself (Canon 30D etc) and nearly had a cardiac when first seen the prices after the session. No sales pressure or anything from the staff who were great though.

Have you seen that you can get a Venture franchise? Cost starts at appx £20k, with existing studios around £100k.

Ogbyte

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Found them - but its not good news.

They are called "image" but from checking companies house it looks like that are in liquidation.

Cannot find a website for them so it looks like thats it.

Associate
"Please remember! The missus is really wanting to get a print from Venture, and we would have to make financial sacrifices to achieve it"

Just Remember the Price! 1k for 3.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
The blown out look of the photo's is deliberate, you either like that style or don't (a bit like marmite), in our case we did/do.

rubbish, the blown out look is just them being lazy and impressing the punters. any halfwit with a camera and Lightroom can make an identical photo.

look at this Photo i took of my parents:
IMG_0921.jpg

i used a canon EOS 400D, and the kitlens.
overexposure effect was done in Lightroom, approx. 10 seconds work.
i printed this (not like this, though) for my parents Anniversary in A2 for £10

i don't see how this blown-out look is worth so much money. its ridiculous. its not a good effect and makes their photos look like trash.

Man of Honour
Why anyone would go to a place where they have a photographer and "sales assistant" is completely beyond me.

What's wrong with the local photographer down the road? We've got one and he's great. Completely eccentric and takes the most amazing photographs!

Sic

Sic

Soldato
yeah, to be fair Aod, you've lost loads of texture on the blacks there - something which I don't see on [m]any of their photos. it's easy to create an overexposed, contrasty image in lightroom, but give them some credit - they're good at it.

having said that, if I wanted to have some professional-ish shots done, I'd either pay a local to do it, or buy some studio time and have a bash myself! Venture seem to be pretty large rip-offs. Saw their stupid stand in West Quay yesterday :/

Soldato
You're doing it wrong! You can still see their face, and not just a black blob for dark clothes and hair, with everything else white!

Soldato
Anyone been with these recently?

Gf`s mother had some pics done and theyve charged her £1000 just for a cd / dvd with the pics on,what i'd like to know is if you can access the pics yourself and get them printed out by a 3rd party?

Soldato
Anyone been with these recently?

Gf`s mother had some pics done and theyve charged her £1000 just for a cd / dvd with the pics on,what i'd like to know is if you can access the pics yourself and get them printed out by a 3rd party?

for £1k I would hope to own the copyright

Soldato
My experience can be described as good, but OTT expensive. Photographer was good and the session was fun and professional. Service good, but when they take you to view all the pics and play soppy music in a dark room on a comfy sofa, they proper go for the hard sell by trying to make you all emotional with the family pics that will obviously mean a lot to you. They know the game, and save the prices till the absolute last minute, practically when you are begging to see the price list by which point said female with you has already stated she wants X Y and Z. It ends up costing you an arm and a leg to the point where you feel sick, but of course it was the right thing to do since the pics were stunning and will last a life time....wasn't it?

At the end of the day we were happy with pics and got over the pricing. Soon realised that you can get as good if not better with a local photographer that charges about 20% the price. Oh well.
Oh and Venture won't ever give you digital copies. Only prints whenever I have asked and even bought.

Man of Honour
You could just find a local individual/photographic hobbyist who follows the same style as Venture (it isn't a hard style to follow).

I used to work there and it is a hard sell at times especially the way the photos are presented on the huge walls during viewing.

The prices are atrocious though, the frames are re-mounted inhouse for pictures switches and they're not better quality than frames you'd otherwise buy in a framing shop or online.

Likewise the other styles of prints they offer are much cheaper elsewhere.

The price is high because you're buying the "experience", so they say anyway.

You don't get to keep the copyright to the images btw.

Back
Top Bottom