1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Version control for single user use

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by DarrenM343, Jun 23, 2018.

1. DarrenM343

Mobster

What version control do people use for small private projects these days? $6 per month for GitHub?

I use MS TFS at the moment for work and also side projects, setup on a spare PC in the case of side projects.

2. D3K

Mobster

If you just want to access older versions, onedrive does it well enough for me.

Proper release and revision control would be best in github, I don't hear much talk of anything else.

3. Cromulent

Mobster

Gitlab gives you free unlimited private repositories unlike Github and has some pretty useful features like running unit tests when you commit new code changes to make sure you haven't got any problems with your new code.

You can also automatically deploy your code to staging and production as well if you use Docker and Kubernetes.

4. john_s

Wise Guy

I just use VSTS... basically TFS hosted by MS. It’s free for up to 5 users on a project.

5. DarrenM343

Mobster

Thanks all. I'll make a note of these. For now I'll try VSTS which seems the easiest for me to get up to speed with given my TFS background.

6. chroniclard

Sgarrista

VSTS with a git repo :p

7. peterwalkley

Mobster

For private stuff I use bitbucket. Private repo's are free for up to 5 users and don't seem to be any limits on the number of repo's you can have either.

8. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Bitbucket

9. Pho

Sgarrista

Bitbucket, free private repos :)

We use it at work too, it's cheaper than Github.

10. D.P.

Caporegime

Gitlab

11. Itchytrigg

Wise Guy

+1 Bitbucket here

12. mid_gen

Soldato

Perforce is free for 5 users still, though you need to host it it yourself, but may be more useful than git depending on what you want it for.