• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vertical gpu sff case?

Associate
Hi guys quick question. I will be upgrading my gpu in January and want ultra settings at 60fps. But the low profile limitation of my case means a gtx 1650 lp is my only option.

Is it possible to vertically mount a more powerful gpu in my case. The Silverstone milo ml03b. I don't want a new case because this one fits the look and feel of my TV unit.

I've read about riser extenders and mounting brackets but unsure how to proceed with my own case if it's even possible. Also there's no ventilation above where the gpu fans would be for pulling air. But I think modding the top with mesh holes wouldn't be hard.

Permabanned
Erm yes I guess you could do that. Unless the case is moved often I don't see any reason to actually attach it to the any metalwork you could just place it on a piece of acrylic board sat on top of the motherboard. Just buy the riser cable instead of the full riser. You would need to check the dimensions very carefully of course, I dunno if there would be enough room.

Associate
Even with a very "it works" bit of bodging and cutting I suspect you are going to be quite restricted in what cards you can squeeze in the space you have in all dimensions- plus the issues of keeping a powerful enough CPU to keep up, cool in the same enclosure. Unless you're DIY Dremel and 3d printing whizz, its going to be ghetto.
The obvious upgrade would be to the ML08 case instead, but maybe its 2008 you really want that optical bay... When I built my current PC I wanted to move away from a boring tall tower full of empty space so I spent a while looking at what else I could have. There are plenty of other cases that fit an AV rack aesthetic, both dedicated (and often pricey) HTPC cases or DIY rackmount cases or the case I almost chose the Evolv Shift 2 ( or the air version which I don't think existed then and loses the glass you don't need). In the end I couldn't be doing with the level of fiddly almost all of them entailed.

Permabanned
Even with a very "it works" bit of bodging and cutting I suspect you are going to be quite restricted in what cards you can squeeze in the space you have in all dimensions- plus the issues of keeping a powerful enough CPU to keep up, cool in the same enclosure. Unless you're DIY Dremel and 3d printing whizz, its going to be ghetto.
The obvious upgrade would be to the ML08 case instead, but maybe its 2008 you really want that optical bay... When I built my current PC I wanted to move away from a boring tall tower full of empty space so I spent a while looking at what else I could have. There are plenty of other cases that fit an AV rack aesthetic, both dedicated (and often pricey) HTPC cases or DIY rackmount cases or the case I almost chose the Evolv Shift 2 ( or the air version which I don't think existed then and loses the glass you don't need). In the end I couldn't be doing with the level of fiddly almost all of them entailed.

I tend to agree. Changing the case would be a far better idea.

Back
Top Bottom