very inexperienced rider carrying a passenger first time ..

Permabanned
As some of you know just passed my test and now have a street triple.

Missus wants to go on the back. Neither of us are lardy both average weight (if that makes any difference)...

Any advice for me carrying a passenger for the first time (or being a passenger? She's never done it!). On the test I have learnt theoretical things like 'Increase the pressure of the back tyre a little' and 'lower the angle of the front headlight' etc but all this sounds like massive overkill to me -- is it?

Let's not cut corners .. I'm really worried about getting to the first slow corner, suddenly 'feeling' the weight, and dropping the thing (breaking her leg in the process). Or lifting the bike stand with the bike at zero mph, resting the bike on my leg, thinking 'HOLY COW HOW HEAVY', not being able to hold it and again we all collapse in a pile.

Also does she EVER put a foot on the ground when we're riding? Or ONLY when clambering on and off?

And really silly question but better said than not -- is there any order to us getting on and off the bike we're supposed to follow? Who first? (Yes unbelievably I really don't have a clue!)

how does riding with passenger 'feel' different please? Any advice at all really?

Britters ..

Soldato
You get on first, then she does. She gets off first, then you do.
The only time she puts her feed down is when she's getting on/off.
Tell her not to try and lean into corners, but not to stay rigid.
I wouldn't bother with tyre pressures or lights unless it is something you can do very easily or are going a long way.

Don't lean into corners too much until you are comfortable. Be aware of negative camber roads particularly when you are stopping. You might want to have both feet down instead of just one when you do stop.

Just remember to be smooth with moving off and braking. Avoid flicking the bike in corners and it will come naturally.

It feels different but it's no harder to ride with a pillion.

Man of Honour
it's not much different other than the bike feeling heavier, plus you'll lose turn in speed and mid corner grip.

get on bike yourself, stand up and then let her get on, have both your legs down.

she need never put feet down except when getting off

don't worry about heavy feeling of bike on corners, it won't topple over, but do watch for the having less grip on front...

watch for wheelies, if you bike doesn't do them it will on the power with someone on back

get her to hold round you, or better still get a strap with handles that goes round you, they are great

when braking try to do it slower than usual, if you have to brake hardish get her to push your back to stay on seat

don't rely on rear pillion grab handles or seat strap handles

thats all I can think of

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, all been said above, id also add remember not to filter the narrow gaps or youl be missing a pillion!
I find I read ahead much more than normal to take smoother lines and have more braking distance between objects. Also I found on slow corners I turn the bars more to compensate for lack of lean.
A good start would be go and find a nice empty space and have a trial run.

Enjoy it, its good fun!

Soldato
Tell her not to try to 'help' by leaning when you go round corners, just remain nuetral, moving with the bike from the hips. Until you're both used to riding together expect her to transfer her weight at any point and be prepared for the bike to change direction because of this. Don't immediately try to show her what the bike is capable of, chances are you'll scare her silly and she won't want to get back on. You'll need to brake more smoothly or get headbutted and accelerate more smoothly or get kicked in the calf when her feet come off the pegs. Take it easy and ride smoothly you'll be able to feel when she's more confident and you can start riding faster.

/Edit - As Flukester says "Love Handles" the belt with grab handles attached are much nicer for the pillion to hold onto and deffinately worth investing in if you plan on doing much riding together.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a passenger for the first time on my CBF600 about 2 weeks ago and I have to say that riding a motorbike alone is so much more fun and so much easier. Maybe it was was because my passenger was heavier than me by about 10kg.

Riding in London and filtering that time was not fun at all, I'd say it was hard work actually.

Anyway you should be fine, just take it easy, you just need to stay focused at slow speeds and when stationery at ie traffic lights.

Associate
The main difference I notice is the higher centre of gravity affecting balance at low speed. Don't try and roll up to junctions at 2mph as the weight can drop quite suddenly, which can catch you out especially if you're busy looking for a gap in traffic. Don't rush but be positive about stopping and setting off - much better to take a few more seconds at a junction than risk damaging yourself, your passenger or the bike.

Associate
at anything above 15 mph i personally dont find it that much difference, as long as the pillon isnt leaning into corners and moving about mid corner. at filtering at slow speeds the extra weight can be felt as it is a little wobblier but nothing major.
best thing i would say is to arrange some signals. i.e when i take a pillon i explain that if i tap them on the left leg im going to overtake or accelerate and get them to tap my sid back to acknowledge and everynow and again ill put my hand on their leg to check there ok and likewise get them to to do the same if they are ok. if they need to stop for any reason they can tap you on your right side.
also worth just doing a little trip first just to make sure they are ok.

Soldato
just take your time
make sure the just sit still
i have had people keep moving head from one side to other to look round my helmet
and i could feel it all.
also had one lean other way to which i was trying to lean the bike, we nearly went straight on because i had trouble turning the bike
very scary when that happens.
i used to take a mate to work every night for years and besides the extra weight i couldn't tell he was there most of the time

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty much everythings been covered, just make sure they arent forcing the lean or as above worse leaning the other way, had that before because they wanted to see better :rolleyes:
Just be aware of the extra force under braking, and how I describe the handling is like your trailing the rear brake slightly, just drags the rear end around slower.

Back
Top Bottom