Very loud rattling noise???

Soldato
My computer seems to have developed a very loud rattling noise but not a vibration one. I think it is coming from the fan in my psu i have stopped all other fans and that noise is still there.

Could the bearings be knackered in my psu fan would a drop of oil sort this or completely new fan? It is getting worse and has just started doing it while i type.

What you guys reckon?

Soldato
Could you RMA the PSU? The fan would be impossible to replace without opening it up, which isn't recommended. And 'oiling' it wouldn't work, since you'd most likely not get it anywhere near the bearings and end up getting oil on the PSU itself, which wouldn't be good and would probably void any warranty it may have.

That's a good point actually, why don't PSUs have external, removable fans?

Man of Honour
Yer it sounds like that something being shaken violently in a pot.

It can last 5 seconds and go or do it for a minute or 2.

As mentioned above it sounds like a wire touching the fan. Mine did it for a while. The wire was fine until I pushed the side of the case back on and then it made contact with a fan blade.

Associate
[Off topic]
Some of the older PSUs do have external, removable fans. But yeah - they don't do it any more for good reasons. It looks ugly too.
[/Off topic]

Demon, do you notice if it only happens if the PSU is hotter than usual, ie more load on? And what happens if you shake the PSU (gently) when it's not happening?

Soldato
OP
[Off topic]
Some of the older PSUs do have external, removable fans. But yeah - they don't do it any more for good reasons. It looks ugly too.
[/Off topic]

Demon, do you notice if it only happens if the PSU is hotter than usual, ie more load on? And what happens if you shake the PSU (gently) when it's not happening?

It's definately not a heat issue as it does it from cold boot sometimes.

Right now it is doing it over and over in a pattern of noises.

Driving me mental!!! To the point where i want to kick my computer over and over untill my foot bleeds!

Soldato
OP
I am devasted going to have to RMA the PSU and i was really getting into NFS:S!

I had the PSU out again a couple nights ago as the noise is still there.

I checked to see if wires are rubbing and there doesnt seem to be anything touching the fins of the fan. Also i have made sure all the screws are tight and that there is nothing rattling inside the psu but to no avail.

It's so annoying as it is not even a year old!

Back
Top Bottom