very slow pc

Associate
hi hope you guys can help me on this one...
my pc is runnin very slow. and when i put some music on its sounding as if its draggging (playing slow) its takin like 5 mins too boot and ive done msconfig and unchecked almost every thing in start up...ran a/v norton and avg and shows some trogen as (mp3 utilities 366) got rid of that and still runnin slow. any ideas guys.. thanks in advance and have i got to run scan in safe mode and turn off system restore ????? not to sure on that one... thanks again

Suspended
Usually when a computer gets infected I just do a fresh install. If there's nothing on there of importance you could do the same.
Some trojans are a right pain to remove, and you still don't know if you've got them all. You might spend a couple of hours "cleaning" it, you might as well just spent the time reinstalling a least you know that it's clean, and being fresh install it'll be fast (SP2 install too) You can then update pre-sp2 updates, latest drivers, AVG etc.

Associate
OP
squiffy that is really my last resort doin a format got too much on here to save . 2 hours format + not really the road i want to go down.. thanks anyway

Associate
It sounds like your hard drive has reverted from DMA to PIO.

To check: First check what mode your primary IDE port is currently working in. Go to Device Manager: right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double-click on the primary IDE channel, click on Extended Settings and check whether it is set to DMA when available. Directly underneath that setting is a grey field that shows the actual working mode of your IDE channel. You want the highest possible DMA or Ultra DMA mode there, and you definitely don't want PIO mode.

To fix:
Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. You have to go through these subkeys and check the DriverDesc value until you find the proper IDE channel.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

Suspended
What about burning off the data onto DVD-RW's then doing fresh install? After the fresh install you can then retrieve the data from the RW's (install AVG and scan each disc as virus might have infected some files)

A format doesn't take 2 hours, just use the quick format option.

Are you telling me you have no backup of your data of any kind? :rolleyes:

Do the usual disk check/spybot/adware/virus/trojan scan. If it still doesn't fix it...fresh install.

Associate
OP
melbourne ** a genius m8 i changed it to dma when available and current transfer mode to ultra dma mode 5 ... rebooted and alls well m8 didnt do into registry and after reboot dma mode 5 still there ... hope thats all i have to do thanks again. bit cagey in goin into reg edit

Associate
hard drives can drop a read speed if they pick up an error, if they pick up lots they can start to decrease the speed of you hdd dramatically

(my mate had this happen)

its the first sign of a hdd which is on its way out

I think the registry fix is to stop the hdd decreasing speed when it errors and to just carry on and ignore it

Associate
acky1964 said:
hi hope you guys can help me on this one...
my pc is runnin very slow. and when i put some music on its sounding as if its draggging (playing slow) its takin like 5 mins too boot and ive done msconfig and unchecked almost every thing in start up...ran a/v norton and avg and shows some trogen as (mp3 utilities 366) got rid of that and still runnin slow. any ideas guys.. thanks in advance and have i got to run scan in safe mode and turn off system restore ????? not to sure on that one... thanks again
how did you get rid of virus/trojan????? it was not a very powerfull 1 if you used a programme to do it ! the best programmes ££ out there can only contain them to a file/folder and STILL on your hard drive(if it a very powerfull virus) be carefull what you click m8 ie: codecs needed to run file: gets a lot of people!
i got 1 and spent 2 weeks in the regestry tring to delete/find it , but in the end the only way to get rid was, as squiffy posted, format!
if i was you i would back up important stuff on dvd, it looks as this mp3 utilities 366 one was a sort of warning. hope this helps m8 c ya ;)

Man of Honour
g00dsh0t said:
how did you get rid of virus/trojan????? it was not a very powerfull 1 if you used a programme to do it ! the best programmes ££ out there can only contain them to a file/folder and STILL on your hard drive(if it a very powerfull virus) be carefull what you click m8 ie: codecs needed to run file: gets a lot of people!
i got 1 and spent 2 weeks in the regestry tring to delete/find it , but in the end the only way to get rid was, as squiffy posted, format!
if i was you i would back up important stuff on dvd, it looks as this mp3 utilities 366 one was a sort of warning. hope this helps m8 c ya ;)

Try actually reading the thread. It was a hard drive problem.

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago on yet another Maxtor Diamondmax 10. Got it going again, backed everything up and got a new drive. Kept the Maxtor going and it failed a couple of days ago. That's my second Maxtor failure. I have Samsungs and Seagates now.

Soldato
Reinstall. Easiest and safest method for cleaning your computer.

If i have a spare afternoon about every 4months i do a complete reinstall of windows jus tto get rid of all the old crud on there

Associate
pastymuncher said:
Try actually reading the thread. It was a hard drive problem.

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago on yet another Maxtor Diamondmax 10. Got it going again, backed everything up and got a new drive. Kept the Maxtor going and it failed a couple of days ago. That's my second Maxtor failure. I have Samsungs and Seagates now.
:rolleyes: YOU try reading MY reply...i know it was a hard drive problem, i was giving advise about the virus/trojan...something i think you know nothing about!

Back
Top Bottom