Very strange problem with installing windows

Man of Honour
I have just purchased a new motherboard - the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P. I have downloaded the RAID drivers from their website, and loaded them up onto a flash drive.

When Vista is installing (I have 64 Premium) it recognises the 32bit RAID drivers, yet even when I'm laying the 64 bit ones out in an identical folder/file layout setup refuses to read them.

Can anybody suggest what's going on? I want to install Vista 64, which I'm guessing you can't if you start off with 32bit RAID drivers.

Associate
I think you can try 32-bit drivers which can be swapped later when system is done. Swapped - I mean just to reinstall proper Windows Vista 64-bit RAID drivers downloaded from GB website (via Windows installer).

Associate
I think the 32bit drivers should work (just not have access to >4gb of memory :D)

Have you tried continuing installing with the 32bit drivers and seeing what happens?

Man of Honour
OP
Installation runs fine without any hitches.

However I do have a 64bit version, and I'd like to use the version I was on before.

This is really annoying, the drivers are there, and even with the "tick to see drivers that are incompatible" option they won't appear.

I have tried with a different flash drive. Same problem.

Man of Honour
OP
Bump again. Urgh, can anybody offer a hand? I've tried to look on AMD's website for some south bridge drivers - they're for the 750 set, and I can't find them anyway. I need the 64bit version (signed).

Associate
No, I mean such procedure:
* install with 32-bit drivers which you've got already
* when Windows is installed, download drivers from site again, but not floppy/stick ones (required during installation, I call then Drivers1), but Windows-one - I call them Drivers2. Usually it's the same archive, but inside of it there's a folder like SATA or RAID which contains part required during installation and rest is "normal" driver which can be installed by double click (setup.exe or something similar).

Oh, I've just visited GB site. You've got there:
* 'SATA RAID' section: GIGABYTE SATA2 RAID Driver (Preinstall driver) - so this is what I call Driver1
* 'SATA RAID' section: GIGABYTE SATA2 RAID Driver - this is Driver2.
But there is 'Chipset / SATA RAI'D section which contains Driver2 included in piece of bigger driver, so when you install Windows and after that when you install AMD Chipset Driver from 'Chipset / SATA RAID' section, it's automatically done for you.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...3107&ost=windows+vista+x64+(64-bit)#anchor_os

Last edited:
Associate
I think he's saying to install windows 64bit using the 32bit raid driver, then once the system is installed update the raid driver from within windows to the 64bit version?

That's what I understood, although I've no idea if thats even possible :p

Soldato
Are you sure you're using the right Vista disc? I wouldn't have thought that Vista x64 would recognise any driver that wasn't compatible - you can't use any 32-bit driver in x64, and vice versa.

The only reason I can think why it's recognising 32-bit drivers and not 64-bit is that it's installing 32-bit Windows. Either that, or the drivers its' recognising aren't 32-bit - do they definitely indicate they are?

One way to find out - carry on regardless with the 'x64' disc and see what happens?

Man of Honour
OP
No I have the right disc (64), and installing a 64bit os with 32 bit drivers wouldn't work I'm sure! :p

It's ok - the problem appears to be solved in somesort of weird way. I've got my hands on a single (therefore non-raid0) ssd on the cheap. The timing being such that when I wish to RAID again, I'll more than likely not have the same motherboard.

I reckon the problem is that the x64 drivers are unsigned for some weird reason. I don't think I'm the only person to suffer with this problem.

Soldato
If the drivers are unsigned then I would suspect that indeed is your problem

As to why AMD released them in that state is another matter entirely

Glad you got round it - although even 2nd hand Im sure it was still pretty expensive way around

Man of Honour
OP
Aye, very annoying as well. I'm somewhat subdued over it because my hand was forced into it every so slightly.

I'd wanted to go down the SSD route for a while, ironically enough it was my current two Raptors' reliability which was a sticking point (as well as their access times etc.).

Associate
Sorry bumpo!!!

I have had the same issue this evening, trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64 using the MSDN install DVD. It would not recognise the x64 drivers from gigabyte but would let me use the x86 ones.

Windows would install to a RAID0 but on the final reboot would enter a reboot loop, most frustrating.

Did anyone find a solution?

My guess is that the MSDN DVD contains both the x86 and the x64 versions of W7 ergo will default to only recognising the x86 drivers?

Any thoughts?

Man of Honour
OP
I'm afraid I didn't (my workaround is above). I think Frank hit the nail on the head when he said for some reason the 64 bit RAID drivers were unsigned.

Very bizarre. I haven't checked recently though for any updates though.

Back
Top Bottom