VGA Watercooling snag.

Associate
I fitted a water block to my Leadtek 7800GT, the temperature looked good but I a message saying "The graphics card is not getting enough power and some features are being disabled to protect it".
Consequently 3Dmark only ran at 1-2 FPS, I put the air cooler back on and all is well again. So I assume the problem is because the fan is not connected to the card.
I've searched the net but can't find any answers so how do you guys work around this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Permabanned
sounds like the PCI-e power connector wasnt connected. Thats the only reason that error comes up.

If not, then there will be a modded bios around to get over the no fan problem, but i have never heard of that problem.

Tom

Associate
OP
I can't find anyone with similar problems, I'm sure I double checked connections.
I've also ordered some VGA RAM heatsinks so I'll have another go at it next week when I'm off work.

Thanks.

Associate
you could fake a load on the power connector by wiring up a resistor in place of the fan. the card would then think its turning a fan and would be happy again. make sure the pci-e power connector is plugged in and working first though.

Soldato
It's not because there's no fan connected, it's because the PCI-E power cable was loose/not connected.

My 7800GT's have been runing fanless for the last 2 months, the only time I got that message is when I was tidying up my case and the PCI-E cable came loose.

Soldato
Cyanide said:
It's not because there's no fan connected, it's because the PCI-E power cable was loose/not connected.

My 7800GT's have been runing fanless for the last 2 months, the only time I got that message is when I was tidying up my case and the PCI-E cable came loose.

seconded, I'm forever doing this...

Associate
OP
welshtom said:
sounds like the PCI-e power connector wasnt connected. Thats the only reason that error comes up.

If not, then there will be a modded bios around to get over the no fan problem, but i have never heard of that problem.

Tom

Think you're right as I've set it back up and all is well this time. ;)

Back
Top Bottom