Vibrating/rattling under load

Associate
Hello!

I hope I have posted this in the right place, but was hoping for some help with the following...

I bought this OCUK system about 6 months ago: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...zen-5-2600-rx-590-8gb-graphics-fs-1aq-og.html

I have noticed that when the computer is working at its maximum (i.e. running certain games on high settings), a loud vibrating noise comes from the back of the PC (where the motherboard meets the case).

It seems to be as the CPU fan kicks up a gear the vibrating starts. I've taken the side panel off and tried my best to find the actual source but it's difficult to isolate.

One thing I have noticed is that the big power cable that goes to the motherboard goes from the motherboard and through a hole towards the side panel and then is cable tied down the side to the bottom of the case. The cable seems quite taut and if i push it up a little to give it some slack i've noticed the vibrating stops.

Does this sound like it could be the reason for the vibrating? I don't really want to go inside the computer as i'm worried i'll mess something up.

Thanks

Soldato
If you can run a benchmark to stress the CPU with the side panel off the case, if it's still making the noise then touch the CPU fan shroud to see if you can feel the vibration. It may be that the cooler screws could need a tweak.
If the cooler is secure it may be worth checking the screws that hold the motherboard to the side of the case, as one of them may have come a little loose.
Is there anything touching the CPU cooler like cables that could be moved out of the way?

Associate
OP
If you can run a benchmark to stress the CPU with the side panel off the case, if it's still making the noise then touch the CPU fan shroud to see if you can feel the vibration. It may be that the cooler screws could need a tweak.
If the cooler is secure it may be worth checking the screws that hold the motherboard to the side of the case, as one of them may have come a little loose.
Is there anything touching the CPU cooler like cables that could be moved out of the way?

Thanks for the reply!

When I get home I will load up a game with bots until it makes the vibrating sound, then am I OK to take the panel off to touch the CPU fan plastic?

Is it ok to tighten cpu screws/mobo screws whilst PC is on or should I shut it off?

Thanks again

Soldato
You might as well take the side of the case off before you start running a game. Yes, it's safe to touch the shroud when it's running. Just be careful not to get your pinkies in the way of the fan blades.
You can also stop the fan when it's running by pressing a thumb of finger into the centre of the fan hub to see if is definitely the CPU fan making the noise. Only do this for a moment as you and then let the fan spin up again.
It would be advisable to shut the PC down and switch off at the wall before you go round tightening up any loose screws.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hope it helps..... let us know how you get on.

UPDATE:

I took the side panel off as suggested and stopped the fans whilst the system was running. I noticed the when I pressed on the CPU cooler the noise stopped.
I then turned the PC off and made sure to tighten all the screws but they were already pretty tight!

Later though, I decided to have another look and removed the side panel whilst the noise was happening (instead of whilst it was idle) and I noticed that just by loosening the screw at the top left of the panel, the vibrating went away. I decided to leave this screw slightly loose and tested it all last-night and the vibration is gone.

Video of vibration: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iFMFQE2ahM4BMAcy8

Video of me loosening top-left screw: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FK982v2j2J2zjdEGA

I'm very happy that the noise seems to be fixed. Do you think this is OK or is there a bigger problem I should be investigating?

Soldato
Nice job. Sounds like the issue is sorted. The CPU fan is slightly out of balance which is causing the vibration. You could change the fan or buy an alternate cooler, but as the noise has gone you'd just be wasting money. The slight fan imbalance may reduce it's life, but that's not something to worry about for a long time.

Associate
OP
Nice job. Sounds like the issue is sorted. The CPU fan is slightly out of balance which is causing the vibration. You could change the fan or buy an alternate cooler, but as the noise has gone you'd just be wasting money. The slight fan imbalance may reduce it's life, but that's not something to worry about for a long time.

Thanks for your help its much appreciated!

Am I stupid not to replace the fan or do you think I should leave it? It seems pretty tightly screwed to the motherboard. Would this reduce the CPU's life or just the fan?

Soldato
UPDATE:

I took the side panel off as suggested and stopped the fans whilst the system was running. I noticed the when I pressed on the CPU cooler the noise stopped.
I then turned the PC off and made sure to tighten all the screws but they were already pretty tight!

Later though, I decided to have another look and removed the side panel whilst the noise was happening (instead of whilst it was idle) and I noticed that just by loosening the screw at the top left of the panel, the vibrating went away. I decided to leave this screw slightly loose and tested it all last-night and the vibration is gone.

Video of vibration: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iFMFQE2ahM4BMAcy8

Video of me loosening top-left screw: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FK982v2j2J2zjdEGA

I'm very happy that the noise seems to be fixed. Do you think this is OK or is there a bigger problem I should be investigating?

You could also pop a small piece of packing eg. cardboard or blu-tac between the side panel and the case right next to where the screw is or make a tiny cardboard washer to go between the screw and the side panel, so that when you tighten it up the play is gone.

Soldato
Thanks for your help its much appreciated!

Am I stupid not to replace the fan or do you think I should leave it? It seems pretty tightly screwed to the motherboard. Would this reduce the CPU's life or just the fan?

The CPU will be fine, the fan may get noisier but I'd leave it and just enjoy your gaming in silence.

Associate
OP
The CPU will be fine, the fan may get noisier but I'd leave it and just enjoy your gaming in silence.

Thank you for reassuring me, I should probably just enjoy my PC and stop worrying about it!

I might give the blu-tac trick a try, is it better to do this than leave it like I have (slightly loose)?

Thanks again

Soldato
Having a slightly loose screw would bug me a bit. A tiny spot of blu-tac should sort it. Just as long as you can't see the blu-tac, as that would bug me as well.;)

Back
Top Bottom