Video doorbell

Soldato
I have a eufy 2k wireless (although it's actually wired... Only the"wireless" offers option of using existing 8v transformer)

The quality is very good and no issues with it thus far. My front door is round a corner so no issues with false detection etc.

Main selling point to me was £0 monthly and stored locally on the homebase kit.

I have the same, the lack of subscription requirement was a big plus for me. I find it works very well.

Associate
I had heard this about the Ring ones but the Nest one is instant for me. It pops a notification the moment the bell rings so you can just tap the notification to open the app.

I think it is pretty common with all of them. I guess it doesn't really work when the delivery drivers almost ring and run in the UK. Too many packages to deliver in a short period of time.

Soldato
I think it is pretty common with all of them. I guess it doesn't really work when the delivery drivers almost ring and run in the UK. Too many packages to deliver in a short period of time.

I've not spoken to anyone over the app yet. As soon as I hear the bell I rush to the door rather than to my phone, some habits are hard to break :cry:

Soldato
That's good to know since I have to zone the parking space around only part of the car otherwise I'd be including the public path and road.

I think it's rather tight of Google to only include the 24/7 video with the £10 a month plan. It makes it quite expensive when I consider the £5 a month quite a lot for what they're offering already. Would have made the £5 more palatable if they had at least included 48 hours or so of 24/7 recording on the cheaper plan.

The old nest aware subscription had 24/7 recording for 5 days. I think my annual sub is £40 or £45. Thankfully they've not forced me to upgrade. So as long as I keep renewing each year then I stay on the old sub.

I don't live quite on a main road (one that runs in parallel to a main road) but still sees a good amount of traffic both vehicle and pedestrian, so if I was using the new sub, it'll end up recording large parts of the day anyway. This is just Googles way of clamping down on the amount of data they have to store.

Soldato
OP
I'm being drawn towards the EUFY stuff at the moment - video quality looks good, and no subs.

I'd prefer to hardwire so not have to worry about batteries. The battery ones come with the Homebase, while the wired does not. Will I be missing any features without the Homebase?

Soldato
I'm being drawn towards the EUFY stuff at the moment - video quality looks good, and no subs.

I'd prefer to hardwire so not have to worry about batteries. The battery ones come with the Homebase, while the wired does not. Will I be missing any features without the Homebase?

I can't see how you'd be missing anything. I'd be interested to know if the wired is better than the battery version in terms lag. I have the battery version and it's next to useless as a security measure - if I'm lucky I get the back of somebodies head as they leave.

Associate
The chime was the biggest thing for me. I’m back to Using a standard doorbell chime. The number of times I’d miss the doorbell if my phone was on silent and the stupid ring chime had forgotten Wi-Fi.
I must remind myself not to put any of these problems in the advert for when I sell the ring doorbell and cameras!

Soldato

Hi, I meant the lack of a chime that works with the Unifi G4 is the issue. Ring was great at chiming it was the quality of the video / cloud fees that annoyed me with that. Same as my nest.

Unifi is all local now no issues works great.

Associate
Hi, I meant the lack of a chime that works with the Unifi G4 is the issue. Ring was great at chiming it was the quality of the video / cloud fees that annoyed me with that. Same as my nest.

Unifi is all local now no issues works great.

you can use any doorbell with the G4. I have a friedland mechanical bell that works perfectly with it.

Soldato
Indeed you can but I do not have doorbell wiring or a powered chime. I run mine from a transformer plug in adapter :). Unifi need to hurry up and release the addon plug in chime they have been working on tbh.

Soldato
The old nest aware subscription had 24/7 recording for 5 days. I think my annual sub is £40 or £45. Thankfully they've not forced me to upgrade. So as long as I keep renewing each year then I stay on the old sub.

I don't live quite on a main road (one that runs in parallel to a main road) but still sees a good amount of traffic both vehicle and pedestrian, so if I was using the new sub, it'll end up recording large parts of the day anyway. This is just Googles way of clamping down on the amount of data they have to store.

That's much more reasonable if you just have the doorbell. The new pricing is about 3 times as much if you want 24/7 recording which is ok I guess if you have multiple cameras but overkill for one doorbell.

Back
Top Bottom