Video Editing Upgrade...

Associate
My father has a PC he uses for Video Editing using ULEAD and Serif applications, it currently has the following spec:

P4 Prescott 640
1gb Corsair XMS Pro PC3200
Gigabyte I915 skt LGA775 mobo
300gb Seagate SATA HDD
Windows XP Pro

he's started to experience "stuttering" in video clips when he tries to add more than one audio track over the clip. Im no expert when it comes to video editing so, I was just wondering if anyone could reccomend a decent upgrade (under £250) that would help him along, and maybe stop the stuttering.

I was looking at getting 2gb of good quality ram (mushkin or maybe OCZ at a push), perhaps a second HDD dedicated for Windows and Programs, and clearing the 300gb for use when editing.

Would there be any realistic benefit of going for a dual-core CPU? If so, budget would, obviously be enlarged, and if this was the case, may even be tempted to wait for Core Duo CPUs and get a new MOBO and some seriously quick DDR2 - obviously this would be an expensive affair!

Also, I have a copy of WinXPx64 lying about that I dont use, providing all programs were compatible, would this help with performance of editing videos?

I really dont wanna have to turn around and reccomend upgrading to Core Duo - any other way of increasing performance on the cheap??

Hope I made sense, but Im a noob when it comes to Video Editing and what it requires in terms of 64bit etc etc bleh.... :confused:

:)

Conroe uses lga775 same motherboard will likely work. If hes already got 1gb of corsair ram he can sell it along with the cpu and it can more than easily be done.

Last edited:
Last edited:
i dono perhaps because of this..
... proves the benefits of using DRAM in massive data access applications such as video/audio capture & editing, and 3D graphics design applications. i-RAM is undoubtedly the fastest storage device on the market!

Let's hold on a second... I am not even sure it's the lack of processing power that is causing the 'stuttering'. A 640 should be still be more than powerful enough for most video tasks.

Ask your father to have the windows task manager open (ctrl-alt-del) and use the performance tab. When he's trying to do these tasks which stutter have him look at the CPU usage and see what that's like. While he's at it he should check the memory usage and see what that's saying.

Also check that his hard drive has been defragged recently.

You say that he experiences stuttering when adding audio tracks to video - is he using onboard sound ? If so, then an X-Fi's dedicated sound processing chips might do the trick. My point being, you need to know where the bottleneck is to solve it. Other than that, I think a cheap dual core (805 or 930) & a mid-range motherboard (the current one won't support it) is probably the best option.

I did read that the intel dual cores are meant to be dropping in price soon - if the cpu is the bottleneck - then the 805/940 would be a good upgrade.

I've had stuttering before when playing back edited tracks and it turned out to be the gpu (mine was very very poo).

I'd suggest searching around the relevant software forums to see if any similar probs have occured (e.g premiere, pinnacle etc)

Energize said:
Yes but in video editing upgrading the cpu will almost always be more significant than upgrading the storage.
if it was that easy to answer why not say that to start with. i only asked for a comment on it, incase it was any good. sorry for butting into your thread.

Back
Top Bottom