• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

View distance...

Permabanned
Okay this is nothing serious but im wondering if its supposed to be like this or not. So basically in games, I'll use GRAW as the example, okay so say their is a few cans on the ground, if im like a meter away I won't see them, if I step like forward they come into view, if you get what im saying, so its as if the view distance is very low or something:

I took two screenshots too show you what I mean, and as you can see you can see like 1 object, but if I move a little closer 5 or 6 more appear:

screenshot1qv0.jpg

As you can see their is very little objects about one meter away on the ground in front of me.

I move forward a little and more objects appear out of no where as if they were invisible:

screenshot2eu6.jpg

Also I get this while moving for example shadows move with me from trees etc. I can't see them from a distance but if I go up close then they appear? :confused:

Soldato
Quite a lot of games have an option so you can configure the draw distance of various items, so I would say thats pretty much 'normal' behaviour. Im not a fan of things just popping into view suddenly, so I always configure for max draw distance when the options permit it.

Associate
yeah i play Ghost recon advanced warfighter tottaly maxed out at 1680 by 1050 (large res and sitting pretty close to my monitor) and have never noticed it :confused: and if its happening suttlely its certainly not as extreme as your example. hmmmmm I will play again soon and post again???

ps do u fly attack heli on battlefield 2142? now that is annoying view distance :mad: on suez canal helis can litteraly appear out of nowhere and I do notice that and the fact I cant see that far in head. I want a hack to let me see 200x when in heli now that would rock and feel more realistic.

Permabanned
OP
deadkomodo said:
yeah i play Ghost recon advanced warfighter tottaly maxed out at 1680 by 1050 (large res and sitting pretty close to my monitor) and have never noticed it :confused: and if its happening suttlely its certainly not as extreme as your example. hmmmmm I will play again soon and post again???

ps do u fly attack heli on battlefield 2142? now that is annoying view distance :mad: on suez canal helis can litteraly appear out of nowhere and I do notice that and the fact I cant see that far in head. I want a hack to let me see 200x when in heli now that would rock and feel more realistic.

Nah I don't have 2142. I don't see a view distance option in GRAW though?

Soldato
It's just how that particular game has been programmed. Nothing more to it than that. Presumably it's to keep the framerate high. Might be some value you can tweak in an ini file to extend the draw distances for certain object types, but beyond that you're stuck with it. Gothic 3 does it too.

Those cans look more like about 8-10 metres to me btw.

Associate
Aaah! What have you done, now that you mention it, it does happen to me, but not so ubruptly. :s Now I have this complex about trying to notice where the objects are not showing due to distance *waves fist like a old man* grrr I guess I will download the patch and see if there is any noticable difference.

By the way just before I download it, is the patch from a reputable source - im not quite familar with the place it's coming from... I have not had such a good experience with patch updates from non-official sources before and it has done (generally) more damage than good :s

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
ihatelag said:
Aaah! What have you done, now that you mention it, it does happen to me, but not so ubruptly. :s Now I have this complex about trying to notice where the objects are not showing due to distance *waves fist like a old man* grrr I guess I will download the patch and see if there is any noticable difference.

By the way just before I download it, is the patch from a reputable source - im not quite familar with the place it's coming from... I have not had such a good experience with patch updates from non-official sources before and it has done (generally) more damage than good :s

No its legit, most of those files are created by the community, they are verified by Filefront and the files network which is an legit group of sites.

Back
Top Bottom