Views on Acer Predator and aftersales

Associate
My 17 month old laptop is out of warranty. Turns out HP's aftercare support is quite poor so I had a local IT company look at it, they say ram, SSD and hd are all okay. They suggest that a new motherboard is required and that this will be very expensive. So, reluctantly, I'm in the market for a new laptop.

I started looking at laptops equipped with 1050 graphics but the 15" Acer Predator isn't all that much more and I think it should last quite a bit longer. As I haven't been tracking the prices of 1060 laptops I don't know if £1159 is a good price.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...-intel-i7-6700hq-gaming-laptop-lt-175-ac.html

What do people think of this laptop and what is Acer's aftersales service like?

Soldato
My 17 month old laptop is out of warranty. Turns out HP's aftercare support is quite poor so I had a local IT company look at it, they say ram, SSD and hd are all okay. They suggest that a new motherboard is required and that this will be very expensive. So, reluctantly, I'm in the market for a new laptop.

I started looking at laptops equipped with 1050 graphics but the 15" Acer Predator isn't all that much more and I think it should last quite a bit longer. As I haven't been tracking the prices of 1060 laptops I don't know if £1159 is a good price.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...-intel-i7-6700hq-gaming-laptop-lt-175-ac.html

What do people think of this laptop and what is Acer's aftersales service like?

@Space Monkey

I bought this laptop, because needed one to take with me on holidays, but still keep it on low budget, while didn't want moving around the 17" sibling. (with the 1060 3gb)
Even if had it only today, really liking it. It can play WOT at around 110fps, everything maxed out. My strategy games (Stellaris, CK2) run fine, and I will install tomorrow TWW2 and ESO.
Also installed the latest version of Predator Precision, BIOS, Windows 10 Fall Update, new nv drivers and used MSI AB to OC the 1060 to 2088 easily. But cannot go higher. (stock turbo speed is 1880)

However

The graphic card overpowers the monitor which is only 60hz. (if anyone knows if the monitor can be overclocked, please help)
The GPU can dish a hell of fps, but with the NV idiocy not having added an FPS limiter all those years, gsync doesn't work properly. (AMD has one and works wonders).

Trying to limit fps with riva tuner to 60, the tearing is ridiculous, regardless if Gsync is activated on both fullscreen and windowed mode.
I will try inspector tomorrow but not having much hope.
Also tried modifying the dll file hex code to activate the GPU Boost menu option on the NV Panel, which has the slider to set the fps limiter. But doesn't work on the laptop.
(works on 1080ti at the desktop though).

Trying Vsync fixes everything, but adds bit lag. Which imho can live with it.

The monitor quality is lovely, very vibrant colours putting to shame my 2730Z even if I have the latter calibrated, but suffers from some bleed at the top centre, where the camera is.
Nothing to bother about, even on dark scenes.

The laptop is pretty heavy, and the powerpack humongous. Twice as big and heavy compared to my previous laptop powerpack.
It has a module to replace the DVD RW , with plastic with a lot of meshes (air flow?) which already done so. Shame it doesn't come with BR player.
Finally, I love the wifi controller. Is fricking powerful. My desktop using the dual wifi plus the antenna from the Z370I and I does 200mbit, the laptop does 886mbit connection over the 5ghz band!!
Almost next to each other (less than 1m away).

That's it. I really like the machine tbh :)

Back
Top Bottom