Vinyl outsells digital - turning point :-)

Man of Honour
Its does lol

Keep kidding yourself.
I understand nostalgia but I grew out of it, why would I want to walk over to a record rack, lift out an album, stick it on a deck and then keep getting up when I want to skip a bad track? - I went through that in the 60s to late 90s.
FLAC files > DAC > Triple driver in ear headphones smash vinyl.

Soldato
I gave my sister my vinyl collection, together with Dual / NAD separates about 25 years ago and she still enjoys it to this day.

I then built up a a collection of CDs which got abducted by my ex-wife when I moved back from the USA and I expect she is still enjoying them over in Texas.

Now all of my music is on hard drive, mostly in FLAC format and I have no urge to revisit the days of snap, crackle and pop thank you very much! :D

Soldato
It does say in the article digital downloads are reduced because everyone is jumping on the music streaming bandwagon.

Soldato
trouble is, when the streaming bandwagon rumbles to a halt due to the record labels demanding too much money, a lot of people will find themselves without a music collection. :D

Soldato
OP
Keep kidding yourself.
I understand nostalgia but I grew out of it, why would I want to walk over to a record rack, lift out an album, stick it on a deck and then keep getting up when I want to skip a bad track? - I went through that in the 60s to late 90s.
FLAC files > DAC > Triple driver in ear headphones smash vinyl.

If it was good enough for David Bowie it's good enough for me

Soldato
I got rid of over 3000 vinyl albums and over 1000 singles and I can honestly say - WHY THE TURNROUND?

and don't give me BS it sounds better.

Downloads have been in sharp decline as consumers switch to streaming services.

you'd have to be daft or looking for some obsure stuff that isnt on amazon/spotify/google play music to go and buy a digital copy of an album when those (and other) streaming services exist.

Man of Honour
trouble is, when the streaming bandwagon rumbles to a halt due to the record labels demanding too much money, a lot of people will find themselves without a music collection. :D

Didn't that artist who did ALL ABOUT THE BASS only get about $6000 from streaming sites and it was played millions of times?

Last Christmas my 15 year old Nephew had a turntable with Led Zep 4, Led Zep 3 and U2 - New Years Day on vinyl and he swore blind it sounded 'so much better' so I went to look at his gear.
It was one of those £50 turntables with stereo 1" speakers built into it, an MP3 64 kbps sounded better.

Soldato
Didn't that artist who did ALL ABOUT THE BASS only get about $6000 from streaming sites and it was played millions of times?

Nope, but the guy who co-wrote it did. That's an issue writers face, but it that's not the fault of streaming services.

Labels Are Hoarding The Royalties – Services like Spotify and Apple Music pay more than 70% of what they earn to the labels, and most of the rest covers expenses of running the apps. The problem is that the labels push artists into exploitative record deals where they only get a tiny share of the royalties, and the labels keep the rest.
https://techcrunch.com/2015/09/23/mo-users-mo-money/

.... or just maybe you want to use a DAP and IEMs that don't support streaming?

Considering the costs of buying a digital copy vs streaming it...nope - it's throwing money down the toilet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was round at a mates and Dark side of the moon had an energy one just can't describe on vinyl compared to the cd copy we compared..

I think on a decent hifi vinyl is magical...

Plus it also protects you from the anxiety of too much choice.:p

Soldato
I got rid of over 3000 vinyl albums and over 1000 singles and I can honestly say - WHY THE TURNROUND?

and don't give me BS it sounds better.

I agree. It certainly sounds different, but it also changes over time as Vinyl wears unless you REALLY keep them clean and your turntable maintained, which sounds like a ballache to me.

I see Vinyl as a more romantic format of music, be it due to nostalgia or because of the closer connection with the artist/label in more of a raw form. This is okay, and i understand why people do it. Some are just collectors and this again, i understand.

Soldato
How much can digital FLAC copies, similar quality as a CD, now be purchased for ?
last time I looked buying CD's and ripping them yourself was the more economic route, ideally I would buy flac for just the tracks I want.

Rossi - Can have the best of both worlds and rip the vinyl yourself to flac, have done that from a deck+Echo A2D, ripped at 88KHz with the intention of post-processing for rice-krispies - but ultimately did not bother (hassle + sound quality degradation)

From another dedicated forum I follow
So five reasons why I buy vinyl, you ask? Sure....

- I need to fill my shelves with lot o' stuff, and vinyl is bigger than a CD. Or a hard drive.
- Cleaning the stylus, getting that vertical vinyl tweaked constantly and get out that protractor! It's like being in class all over again.
- IGD. Distortion is music the way the artist intended pal.
- I don't like having money in my wallet. Vinyl helps keep my funds low.
- Once I grow out my beard, I can finally join the hipster revolution. How ironic.

Soldato
I just enjoy perusing Oxfam on a saturday morning.

Yes so I pay £10+ for an album that I bought (or not) for <£3 in the 1970's. I just love the sound.

A 40-50 year old well played vinyl will always have some surface noise and most of the albums I have kept over the years were at some historic parties and played on dubious equipment.

Back
Top Bottom