Virgin 4g on Xiaomi Redmi 3s suddenly gone off

Associate
Last week the 4g on my Redmi 3s suddenly went off and hasn't come back since. I've got 2g and the occasional call comes through, and I've been sent 2 replacement Sims with no success. The APN settings seem to be right. Anyone know if this is a common thing and what the answer is?

Associate
OP
Hasn't worked. It's weird - when I manually search for a mobile network Virgin 3g and Virgin 4g don't even appear anymore - just 2g, and then Three 4g, and a couple of others that are 'forbidden'.

Associate
OP
Yes, but obviously its very limited. I'm getting the occasional phone call and text coming through too, and I can sometimes make a call, but generally it says "no service".

Soldato
Yes, but obviously its very limited. I'm getting the occasional phone call and text coming through too, and I can sometimes make a call, but generally it says "no service".
SIM is only used for authentication to a mobile network (well, mostly) so if you are able to receive data over 2G then the APN settings, SIM and GSM Radio are at least intact and you're not failing authentication of data services, it's more likely the handset. IF you receive no data but Calls / SMS work then the APN is rejecting you (network only fix - APN rejection is always silent failure). If you're getting "no service" where you had service before and it's affecting outgoing calls I'd put it down to aerial / modem and it's likely back to the factory for a fix.

Associate
OP
SIM is only used for authentication to a mobile network (well, mostly) so if you are able to receive data over 2G then the APN settings, SIM and GSM Radio are at least intact and you're not failing authentication of data services, it's more likely the handset. IF you receive no data but Calls / SMS work then the APN is rejecting you (network only fix - APN rejection is always silent failure). If you're getting "no service" where you had service before and it's affecting outgoing calls I'd put it down to aerial / modem and it's likely back to the factory for a fix.

Hm. Not an option, since I bought it off Ebay. Is there any kind of mobile repairer in the UK that could do that kind of thing?

Soldato
I honestly don't have much experience with this type of handset and repairs, i test handsets for a big telco and get them for free. The chinese handset thread might be able to help you out. I assume you've been through different network SIMs to check there's nothing localised right? (don't test with EE though, same network).

Soldato
Downloaded MUI7, installed it through the phone, it restarted straight back into MUI8 and now won't accept my MUI password so I'm locked out.

I'm close to launching this phone at the wall

Soldato
Strange problem, doesn't really make sense why it would work for a while then suddendly switch off, kind of analogous to something overheating.

Associate
OP
Strange problem, doesn't really make sense why it would work for a while then suddendly switch off, kind of analogous to something overheating.

Yeah I know, I can't work it out at all. Someone said it could be some kind of issue after a firmware update that's messed up the radio wave settings. I was going to wait until the MIUI 9 update came out and see if that fixed it, but it could be months.

Anyway, I fancy the 4x so it should be here any day, and the seller has said they're happy to refund.

Back
Top Bottom