Virgin Media Cable BB - router and separate wireless

Associate
Heya!

I made the mistake of buying a Netgear DG834GT for hooking up to my virginmedia (ambit 256) modem.

Im wondering if I can get a cable router (ZyXel Prestige P-335 cable router - mnufacturer code 91-003-1560003) which has 1xWAN, 4XLAN, USB and use this to cnnect to my current DG834GT to get thins up and running... will this work?

Thanks for your time!

Associate
As per bledd's post, what exactly are you trying to do?

virgin no longer registers the MAC address like NTL used to do, so you can change the router to the wireless one without having to go through the old one (sell that) if that's what you're asking.

Associate
OP
thanks fro the replies guys...

what are you trying to do?

The idea was to see if I could use my DG834GT (which I bought not knowing it wouldn't work with my Virgin Connection - doh!) with a cheaper Cable Router (so the routing done by the cheap cable router, and the wireless by my current ADSL wireless modem router)... but I guess this can't be done.

Looks like the linksys wrt54gl is the way to go unless I get another ercommendation.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Yes, you can use an ADSL wireless router just for wireless on the back of a cable router as I have done it.
Had an old non wireless cable router and used a BT Broadband ADSL wireless router through one of the LAN ports and just used the wireless part - basically just as an access point. Worked fine.

Now changed over to a tidier all in one solution.

As for MAC addresses, I think you still have to reboot the cable modem itself each time you change the attached MAC address.

Soldato
Correct, as ajf says, you can use an ADSL router simply as a switch/AP if you like. Just make sure you disable the DHCP server on it and assign it an IP address in the same subnet as your cable router and you'll be good to go - simply ignore the ADSL side of it and it'll be fine. However, aren't cable wireless routers dirt cheap anyway?

Back
Top Bottom