Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
No way I’d be swapping fixed line for mobile broadband. Tried it previously a few times in very good coverage areas. I get amazing speeds, sometimes! Other times it’s bad, then it’s good.
Backup, fine. Main connection, no way.

IMO of course ;)

Man of Honour
The lower latency that 5G gives over 4G should make it quite viable as an alternative to fixed line, assuming you have decent coverage.

@Nasher do you have an external antenna or anything?

Soldato
The lower latency that 5G gives over 4G should make it quite viable as an alternative to fixed line, assuming you have decent coverage.

@Nasher do you have an external antenna or anything?

Nope, just the router sat on a windowsill.

I actually did another test later on and it touched on 800mbit :eek:

Soldato
Same as pretty much all home internet connections. Most people don't need a super fast upload.

Meh. That's a fairly ISP-centric argument tbf. People didn't 'need' a fast download, until one became available and the content started to become available to match it (big games, large files, 4k movies etc). If a symmetric upload became the norm the uses for it would likewise begin to materialise. Offsite backups, P2P transfers (and I'm not talking 'Linux ISOs' specifically), real time collaboration on creative projects... There's all kinds of use cases, both existing and novel, that could take advantage of, say, 1Gbs+ upstream.

Soldato
Meh. That's a fairly ISP-centric argument tbf. People didn't 'need' a fast download, until one became available and the content started to become available to match it (big games, large files, 4k movies etc). If a symmetric upload became the norm the uses for it would likewise begin to materialise. Offsite backups, P2P transfers (and I'm not talking 'Linux ISOs' specifically), real time collaboration on creative projects... There's all kinds of use cases, both existing and novel, that could take advantage of, say, 1Gbs+ upstream.

You won't get that in the UK unless you pay for a leased line, which is mega expensive and something only big companies get.

Soldato
I think this is a good a place to ask as any -

Has anyone resolved their dead zones in the far reaches of their hours and if so how?

I'm not sure I want a mesh WiFi setup as a I have a number of wired devices, I simply want to extend the SH3 WiFi to where it's currently poor and use the same SSID and password

I'm surprised looking into this a simple solution doesn't exist unless I've miss something, extenders require you to manually switch networks and mesh replaces the whole thing and assumes you don't use cables, I have 4 permanently cables devices

I know I could get a better router but I would still need to use the SH3 causing clutter in an already cluttered area and a better router is a gamble as to whether it will reach the dead spots

Anyone successfully resolved this issue and able to seamlessly switch between the main router and access points, extenders etc?

Thanks

Soldato
You won't get that in the UK unless you pay for a leased line, which is mega expensive and something only big companies get.

Vodafone and a number of alt fibre networks offer symmetrical services for residential customers and in some cases for less than the asymmetrical services from the likes of VM/OR.

Soldato
640 down and 43 up is one of the worst ratios available in the UK though

It's approx. 4x what I get and I don't have many upload issues at home. I imagine the vast majority of customers don't need a huge upload speed, hence asymmetrical connections

E: I'd also wager the VAST majority of 100mbsp+ download customers just choose that option because "it must be better" than the cheaper options, with no specific need

Soldato
It's approx. 4x what I get and I don't have many upload issues at home. I imagine the vast majority of customers don't need a huge upload speed, hence asymmetrical connections

E: I'd also wager the VAST majority of 100mbsp+ download customers just choose that option because "it must be better" than the cheaper options, with no specific need

I was fine with just 50 download tbh, even 100 was overkill. But VM is overpriced and the service is sketchy at times.

Back
Top Bottom