Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Was it the two well publicised 2Gbit trials and the 3.1 roll-out due to end this year and general availability of the SH5 with 2.5Gbit port stated as being next year that gave it away? ;)

Hehe :)

I'm actually out of contract and have been holding off upgrading to gigglebit as it would mean committing to a fresh 18 months and I'm expecting FTTP to arrive here in the next year or so.

If VM do offer 2gig with the SH5 then I might jump.

Soldato
Hehe :)

I'm actually out of contract and have been holding off upgrading to gigglebit as it would mean committing to a fresh 18 months and I'm expecting FTTP to arrive here in the next year or so.

If VM do offer 2gig with the SH5 then I might jump.

Could always look at the O2 angle - 12 month 15GB SIM only is £8/m and gives you double the normal data (so 30GB) and a free boost to the next profile on VM, £13 Quidco too. Cash back in handset plans on higher if you need something new.

Last edited:
Associate
Would be very interested to hear of any progress you make with pfSense connected to multiple ports with link aggregation to beat the gig Ethernet limitation as I'm in exactly the same boat. Contemplating upgrading to giggle but 'losing' 200Mb of it would be really annoying.

I've been doing some quick tests and I am not sure combining two connections from the SH4 will yield any real benefit for me.

The reason is the terrible download to upload ratio (21.7 on the 1Gbps service) combined with my average use and the need to use some QoS to tackle buffer bloat. This means I'll not be able to use much more download than the 940Mbps I can get with a single port in practice.

I've reverted to one port for now as I am already monitoring an increase in WAN dropouts over the last month (on 1Gbps and the previous M600 service) so need more stats in case I need to contact support. Next weekend I will try a longer test with combining ports to ensure it doesn't drop out after a period of time with current SH4 firmware and make a decision after that.

zia

zia

Associate
Currently on virgin 200mb, using super hub 2 ac in modem mode with asus router, checked virgin site an it states that 1 gig is available in my street,have rang them and they have upgraded me to it,hoping for better latency.
current BQM

Zia

Soldato
Currently on virgin 200mb, using super hub 2 ac in modem mode with asus router, checked virgin site an it states that 1 gig is available in my street,have rang them and they have upgraded me to it,hoping for better latency.
current BQM

Zia

The upstream on VM isn't ideal (far from it). It's manageable though, if you have a decent router. Implementing congestion control onto the upstream (fq_codel, cake or similar) will help a lot. Here's my before and after, in my case implementing fq_codel on OpenBSD. Similar options are available in Linux, and many routers based on it (including WRT).

Before:
6TWs6kn.png

After:
NAjxrIu.png

Now I can hammer the upstream day and night and not see so much as a blip on the BQM. Downstream still spikes it but I've not bothered messing with that.

Man of Honour
Could always look at the O2 angle - 12 month 15GB SIM only is £8/m and gives you double the normal data (so 30GB) and a free boost to the next profile on VM, £13 Quidco too. Cash back in handset plans on higher if you need something new.
I'm going to do this when my 12 month contract ends with 3 early next year. I hardly use any data so just the cheapest SIM only deal with O2 should be fine and hopefully they actually have some coverage here as well, 3 has been quite poor.

Soldato
I'm going to do this when my 12 month contract ends with 3 early next year. I hardly use any data so just the cheapest SIM only deal with O2 should be fine and hopefully they actually have some coverage here as well, 3 has been quite poor.

Thats my concern, the O2 coverage checker tells me the places I usually have problems (rural Northumberland or rural Somerset) shouldn't be anything less than good 4G coverage, funny thing is BT said the same and were shocking with dropped calls, either way it's probably worth a look before you jump? My SIM is due Tue/Wed, port should go through same/next working day depending on time of activation, once it goes live I can activate Volt and then wait for someone at VM to realise my SH3 won't do Gig1 as no DOCSIS 3.1 capability and raise a SRO for a SH4 or SH5, I don't mind waiting another week or so, especially if it's a SH5.

Man of Honour
Thats my concern, the O2 coverage checker tells me the places I usually have problems (rural Northumberland or rural Somerset) shouldn't be anything less than good 4G coverage, funny thing is BT said the same and were shocking with dropped calls, either way it's probably worth a look before you jump?
Yeah will look into it a bit more nearer the time. I was on Giffgaff before which is O2 and generally it was OK except they didn't do Wifi calling which is was annoying so switched to Three. As said I don't use much data so going EE isn't an option last time I checked as they expensive but guess its a bit of 'you get what you pay for'.

To keep back on topic.. still holding out my 2ac for a 5 Hub :p

Associate
I'm stuck in a dilemma at the moment.

I have had a bit of a mixed situation with this free upgrade (volt) with VM/o2 all because the o2 account is in the wife's name, just the name everything else is under my name email/bank they just won't budge for now!! it's being looked into by some very nice customer service administrator at VM.

Now the VM, CSA is looking to get me if they can this offer if o2 can fix the name problem.

I am currently on the m350 package we pay £56:50 for m350 & talk more anytime, this rises to £68.50 in January) the CSA is trying to get the o2 name sorted and is offering to put me on the m500 package before this so when the name issue is sorted I will be put straight onto the 1gb package so the full package below will be

1gb BB & talk more anytime = £61
o2 we have a 2 x phone package at the moment costing £16 for 8gb (this will be doubled but not really bothered)

Now I have also been in touch with BT about full fibre 900 they have offered to pay the rest of my contract with VM which isn't much it's only 2 months they have priced me

full fibre 900 & phone line (incoming calls only and to keep same number) 24 months @ £49:99

I would love the extra upload speed on this I have never been bothered about the download, but the wife is worried about losing the phone number plus she doesn't like change but she liked the little saving with BT.

Just can't make my mind up with this mainly because I don't know anyone in our street who has full fibre 900.

Soldato
Given the choice I'd take BT 900Mbit fibre over VM for sure. As you say, the upstream is significantly better, but latency is also a lot better than VM and it's cheaper too so there's nothing to lose.

Associate
My wife is an o2 customer but the VM contract is in my name. Her O2 app said indicated they're working on making that work with the volt perk too. I guess I will wait instead of going round in circles with VM customer service like some others have

Associate
Would go with BT, does anyone actually call your landline?

We use it but we don't really need to, what she is worried about is losing the number because we have a poorly daughter hospitals/doctor's use the landline all the time. Yes this can be changed but again it's the change the wife doesn't like, hopefully we can keep the number BT have checked and said it won't be a problem. I've told her there is no point in having the contract we have with virgin it's costing too much and it keeps rising, it would cost more to change the deal we have.

My wife is an o2 customer but the VM contract is in my name. Her O2 app said indicated they're working on making that work with the volt perk too. I guess I will wait instead of going round in circles with VM customer service like some others have

It's o2 who are being the pain why on earth they can't change the 1st name on the account when the email and bank is in my name they are just being tools.

Yes virgin have offered me a deal with the 1gb service but download speed isn't what I'm bothered about and I have also told them if I agree another contract and if it goes up straight away in the new year I will just terminate my account, so BT is the best option in my mind.

Forgot to say if you do get your volt o2 upgraded don't even phone virgin just wait 14 days and you will eventually get your VM speed upgraded.

Soldato
I'm stuck in a dilemma at the moment.

I have had a bit of a mixed situation with this free upgrade (volt) with VM/o2 all because the o2 account is in the wife's name, just the name everything else is under my name email/bank they just won't budge for now!!

...but the wife is worried about losing the phone number

I'd go with full fibre, though perhaps not with BT, or at least use Quidco/TCB if the contract termination fee is so small (you need to give 30 days notice anyway).

In the circumstances you describe it's (almost) impossible to loose the number, it's a bog standard number port at the same property, no change in address etc. The only possible exception to this would be if VM had done something like a switch split, in theory they'd refuse to issue the number if the covering switch area had changed even though it used to be valid, but I can literally only think of one single switch in one franchise and area where that was a thing in and it wasn't Doncaster.

In terms of the name issue, the long winded solution is to arrange a TOR on the VM account or name change on the O2 account, but realistically they just need to change the policy so that two qualifying accounts registered at the same property are accepted, yes a small amount of abuse will happen, but that's offset by the agro of dealing with thousands of complaints because people aren't married or haven't updated maiden names to married names or vice versa.

Either way, jump ship and enjoy fibre :)

Associate
Just received MikroTik RB5009 and bonded 2 ethernet ports from Hub 4 in modem mode then connected RB5009 to my PCs using 2.5Gbe network.

12276970807.png

Associate
It's BT they offer the best package, like I said my contract with VM runs out end of Jan 2022 and the termination fee is only £96 which BT have offered to pay.

The name change of VM isn't has straight forward as you may think one CA actually told me it can be done over the phone I told him no it cant because I have already tried and retentions team also so no it can't, I would have to use the change account holder option this is something we don't really want to do anyway when everything is in my name just not the o2 account name.

The same goes with the change of name with o2 they are just being dicks about it when the email & bank is in my name, the only options they said were 1st option was to buy another 2 sim cards in my name (which is absolute pointless) when there is 6 months left on the contract we have now, (2nd option) I told them stop talking when the other option and main option is to change the name via the online form system just like VM do. I could do this but I thought to myself why am I paying this much anyway when I could just leave VM and get what I wanted with BT's full fibre 900 the wife can just deal with the 8gb package we are on with o2, paying £49:99 with BT getting a much improved upload speed something I have always needed.

Why should I be paying £68 in January for 350mb with a crappy 36mb upload it's just not worth it anymore.

Soldato
It's BT they offer the best package, like I said my contract with VM runs out end of Jan 2022 and the termination fee is only £96 which BT have offered to pay.

The name change of VM isn't has straight forward as you may think one CA actually told me it can be done over the phone I told him no it cant because I have already tried and retentions team also so no it can't, I would have to use the change account holder option this is something we don't really want to do anyway when everything is in my name just not the o2 account name.

The same goes with the change of name with o2 they are just being dicks about it when the email & bank is in my name, the only options they said were 1st option was to buy another 2 sim cards in my name (which is absolute pointless) when there is 6 months left on the contract we have now, (2nd option) I told them stop talking when the other option and main option is to change the name via the online form system just like VM do. I could do this but I thought to myself why am I paying this much anyway when I could just leave VM and get what I wanted with BT's full fibre 900 the wife can just deal with the 8gb package we are on with o2, paying £49:99 with BT getting a much improved upload speed something I have always needed.

Why should I be paying £68 in January for 350mb with a crappy 36mb upload it's just not worth it anymore.

Nobody is going to just change the name on an account that wasn’t credit checked against that person and done as a TOR, it’s all the kinds of wrong that you can think of and reason enough for termination of employment. As stated if you want to leave and have two months left, the 30 days notice takes care of one of those and the other will be at the basic rate for each service. You can port your number and the process is easy and you’ll likely get more cash back from BT via Quidco than the minimal contract termination fee. I really don’t see why you’re making this more complicated than it needs to be?

Back
Top Bottom