Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Fair enough, I may give them a call today and see what they offer.

I really don't want to leave Virgin Media as I have been with them since it was called NTL and the service and reliability had been excellent just a shame about the price as it's not like I have a top end package

Same here but pricing is getting silly, especially when they offer new customers the same package for £25-£30

Just looked at Plusnet, offering phoneline & 40-70mb download 15-20mb upload connection for £28pm

Last edited:
Soldato
Same here but pricing is getting silly, especially when they offer new customers the same package for £25-£30

Just looked at Plusnet, offering phoneline & 40mb connection for £28pm

Must agree with the pricing, every year there is a letter with the prices going up. When I first got my package it was £26 a month.

Have not used any other broadband provider as I have been with NTL\Virgin Media for so long, it's a shame they don't seem to care about loyalty. I understand that prices go up but the amount it goes es up by every year is stupid

Soldato
Just called to cancel too, see what retentions can come up with (if they call of course...)

Only interested in the 350 package for the 20MB upload - the 6Mb on the 100MB package is pathetic.

Otherwise it'll be Plusnet for a year on 80/20!

Soldato
I just got the price increase letter and they mention there is an increase of 31% usage on their network so they have no choice (Netflix?). I'll be phoning to cancel in the hope I get a decent deal.

Caporegime
exactly the same reason why I posted about suggestions for new provider. £38 for 60mb connection is getting a lot considering others are paying £42 for so much more

who are you going with as a new provider?

it's because you are ignorant of how it works.

I pay £43 for 350MB. How? because I phone up and cancel as soon as my contract is done. I then look around for the best deal. I then say phone me back if you can match this deal or at least come down by £X amount otherwise don't bother calling me back.

I'm out of contract now. So I'll be calling to cancel tonight. I will tell them I want to cancel as I don't think it offers me value for money and only to call me back if they can offer me a good deal.

So basically I want 350MB for less than £43 a month. If they can't offer me it for cheaper then I'll just switch to BT and get free BT sports for a year.

Caporegime
I'm having real problems with my service. Whenever I use my PC (ethernet), after a while, it seems to kaput the internet connection. It then drops for all the wifi devices and I have no choice but to reboot the modem, althoug sometimes, it comes back on it's own after a while. It works solidly when I use wifi or other ethernet devices for long periods, it's just my PC that causes problems. It also comes up with messages on the troubleshooter about no valid IP configurations (or something like that).

I say it's an internet problem, but part of me strongly suspects its something on my PC thats causing the issues. Is there any way a PC can kill an internet connection like this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Man of Honour
That sounds very odd. It could be anything from malicious software, drivers, windows update to dodgy physical NIC, cable, etc.

What have you tried so far?

Caporegime
That sounds very odd. It could be anything from malicious software, drivers, windows update to dodgy physical NIC, cable, etc.

What have you tried so far?
Not much rally, don’t know what to try.

There was an incident a little while ago where a couple of things downloaded themselves, one of them was called
Chromium and another was a random anti malware program, but I have uninstalled them and run an AVG scan after which came back clear.

Could there possibly be nasties lurking even though the scans coming up clear?

Permabanned

I pay £43 for 350MB. How? because I phone up and cancel as soon as my contract is done. I then look around for the best deal. I then say phone me back if you can match this deal or at least come down by £X amount otherwise don't bother calling me back.

I'm out of contract now. So I'll be calling to cancel tonight. I will tell them I want to cancel as I don't think it offers me value for money and only to call me back if they can offer me a good deal.

So basically I want 350MB for less than £43 a month. If they can't offer me it for cheaper then I'll just switch to BT and get free BT sports for a year.

This doesn't work too well if your only alternative is 40-50 meg BT, its like peasant broadband after 350 meg VM.

Associate
mines going up £3 to £37 something for 200mb BB only have got no interest whatsoever in there landline or tv offerings not sure if it's still a good deal could cancel but bt might be garbage better the devil you know perhaps..and last time i tried to get a better deal retensions were having none of it they were pushovers in the early years not now it seems.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This doesn't work too well if your only alternative is 40-50 meg BT, its like peasant broadband after 350 meg VM.

I don't need 350MBtbh and i seriously doubt anyone does tbh.

I'd be happy with 60MB. Its all you really need day to day.

Plus with my powerlines i can't get more than 150MB anyway. So 200MB is literally wasted.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I was fine on 200mbit but they wanted me to pay something insane (like 1.5x higher than the website price) when it came to an end. I ended up switching to the VIP package as it worked out the same as what I was paying for sky TV and virgin 200mbit but getting 350mbit (~390-400mbit on average).

I don't need 350mbit, no, but do I want it? Yup... plus it's at a price I'm comfortable with.

Also, it has a higher upload too, which is useful when I want to stream from Plex.

Soldato

I've just got off the phone to Virgin and they gave me 350mb for £42 per month on a 12 month contract with no price increase when it happens so I don't see any reason why you'd not get the same deal.

Man of Honour
Not much rally, don’t know what to try.

There was an incident a little while ago where a couple of things downloaded themselves, one of them was called
Chromium and another was a random anti malware program, but I have uninstalled them and run an AVG scan after which came back clear.

Could there possibly be nasties lurking even though the scans coming up clear?
Yeah as AVG isn't brilliant. Try a scan with Malwarebytes and ESET online scanner. Also check your browser plugins / extensions and ensure there is nothing on there you wouldn't be expecting.

Soldato
Just got off the phone to virgin, ended up with £20 pm off & no price rise in October.
That's keeping the 200mb BB, & getting rid of the phone I haven't used in 8 years.

I queried why when I'd asked before about dropping the phone is been told it would be more expensive but they couldnt give me a reason.

Still happy enough with another 12 months, as I've been happy with the actual service, just not the price.
Just shows there is no structure to virgins prices, they just charge whatever they can get away with.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah as AVG isn't brilliant. Try a scan with Malwarebytes and ESET online scanner. Also check your browser plugins / extensions and ensure there is nothing on there you wouldn't be expecting.
Well you were right, Malwarebytes found 30 threats. Many were unwanted programs and registry keys which google search suggests are particular ones that mess about with your browser settings and connections. All have been quarantined now and with the PC being the only device that affects the internet, I should imagine that was the issue and my problems are hopefully over. My connection is certainly stable now and has been for an hour.

Another strange thing that was happening was that chrome was opening about two or three instances at a time.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom