Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Is virgin media’s top package throttled at all? As we have just got out FTTP box installed to the front of the house and the rest of the install is taking place next week .. lol

If it's Virgin, it's not FTTP, that's still copper. Throttling wise, officially no, like most ISP's they do have basic QoS, but local node congestion is a thing as is crappy routing.

Soldato
I'm not sure what the Virgin QoS is set for, but it's certainly not intrusive. We clear 1 - 1.5TB a month, at varying hours, and have never run into speed problems. It helps massively that our area is not over subscribed though, perhaps it's more noticeable in areas that are.

Soldato
If it's Virgin, it's not FTTP, that's still copper. Throttling wise, officially no, like most ISP's they do have basic QoS, but local node congestion is a thing as is crappy routing.

New areas do get a fibre to the property which is then terminated to coax externally. They call it hybrid coax I think.

Still it can actually be fttp now.

Soldato
New areas do get a fibre to the property which is then terminated to coax externally. They call it hybrid coax I think.

Still it can actually be fttp now.

Last I knew, it’s fibre to the pit, from the bomb to the tee is copper afaik (may have changed in last few years or indeed vary by area - i’ve not been on an install or even a customer for many years).

Caporegime
New Virgin Media areas are RFoG - the fibre runs to the outside wall of your house and the brown box has a converter installed, and it’s coax after that point. Indoors you get a cable modem and a power injector - presumably in future the power injection will be able to be integrated into the modem.

Associate
Hi,

For the past week have been having issues with slow upload speed and have noticed the modulation on channel 1 has changed to "32 qam" .... anyone know how to fix this? or will it sort it's self out.

Upload is an average 6MB on a 20MB upload.

cheers

Man of Honour
QAM isn't anything you can change, it is the modulation type used by VM which can depend on the region. If you're having issues then just give the modem a reboot or speak to them on the online chat/phone.

Associate
Judging from the VM communities forums and the state of my connection over the last 2 weeks there is an latency/packet loss issue in Area 15, possibly more London areas:

Soldato
New Virgin Media areas are RFoG - the fibre runs to the outside wall of your house and the brown box has a converter installed, and it’s coax after that point. Indoors you get a cable modem and a power injector - presumably in future the power injection will be able to be integrated into the modem.

I believe the long term plan is to move most if not all installations to RFoG and then provide CPE with optical inputs.

Associate
QAM isn't anything you can change, it is the modulation type used by VM which can depend on the region. If you're having issues then just give the modem a reboot or speak to them on the online chat/phone.

Speedtest.net shows the full 20MB upload, tb shows 12MB yet uploading to gdrive/one drive I'm lucky to get 2MB

Also FTP speeds max out at 1.5MB while uploading so will try live chat tomorrow.

Not the worst look tbb graph but it's showing slight constant packet loss over the past 2 days

Caporegime
Judging from the VM communities forums and the state of my connection over the last 2 weeks there is an latency/packet loss issue in Area 15, possibly more London areas:

Yup the network around Islington/Hackney/Hoxton is absolute garbage. Persistent 20% packet loss now for about a month.

Man of Honour
Virgin Media Customer Service are denying any issues on it so far, do you think they're trying to avoid a high cost infrastructure fix?
They'll probably blame your AV, computer or whatever and then order a cable re-pull, adjust some power levels and keep trying to fob you off as long as possible.

Caporegime
Virgin Media Customer Service are denying any issues on it so far, do you think they're trying to avoid a high cost infrastructure fix?

I think they’re just incompetent and have several years of underinvestment in their network and support team to try and undo, if they’re fussed.

Soldato
My VM contract is up so im wondering if anyone knows of any good deals.

im getting 200mb i was a bit annoyed because I agreed to the 250mb but i was told that it was discontinued after, still stuck with them because no one else offered fibre in my area,
The price went up to £29 a month last year, I called at at 8:30 got told that is still the best price and it will stay at that for 6 moths.

Soldato
My VM contract is up so im wondering if anyone knows of any good deals.

im getting 200mb i was a bit annoyed because I agreed to the 250mb but i was told that it was discontinued after, still stuck with them because no one else offered fibre in my area,
The price went up to £29 a month last year, I called at at 8:30 got told that is still the best price and it will stay at that for 6 moths.

Start the 30 day notice to leave them and wait a couple of weeks, they'll ring you with a deal only possible through this method. I did it recently and got 350Mb for £32. If you get cold feet or aren't ready to move, you can cancel the notice at any point and everything will continue as normal.

Soldato
Start the 30 day notice to leave them and wait a couple of weeks, they'll ring you with a deal only possible through this method. I did it recently and got 350Mb for £32. If you get cold feet or aren't ready to move, you can cancel the notice at any point and everything will continue as normal.
Hi is it just broadband you got ?
also could you share a image of the bottom of your contract the area that show the discount they offer and how they did it ?
maybe with it I could get the same deal.

Associate
I've just submitted a cancellation request. They're still not acknowledging the area fault and I've been paying too much for the connection anyway.

Will see what retentions offer but otherwise it's a switch to some kind of FTTC :/

Caporegime
Considering a switch from BT as they are getting far too costly.

How does the Vivid200 come into the house? I currently have BT coming in to a VDSL model and Ubiquiti USG and would want to utilise the same but appreciate if I do switch it may need a new modem?

Yup the network around Islington/Hackney/Hoxton is absolute garbage. Persistent 20% packet loss now for about a month.
Anyone in the Cambridge area able to say if the service has improved over 3 years ago when it was utterly dire?

Associate
Considering a switch from BT as they are getting far too costly.

How does the Vivid200 come into the house? I currently have BT coming in to a VDSL model and Ubiquiti USG and would want to utilise the same but appreciate if I do switch it may need a new modem?

Comes in as coax cable, into their hub (SuperHub 3). You can use this as a router as well but it has a modem mode if you'd like to use your own.

Back
Top Bottom