Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
My problems with YouTube just hit a new low. No videos, whatsoever, are now loading. Just goes straight to "error occurred". Rest of the internet works just fine. Useless *****.

Caporegime
i'm getting 500GB TiVo box on 14th and keeping the HD box. but the I need to pay £5 per month for TiVo box and a one off charge of £49 and I need to pay a extra £2.75 per month to keep the HD box

I thought the HD box is free?

so the bill will go up from £57.24 to £64.99

well i just cancelled my virgin package to go to sky for 12 months. current package with VM is roughly £70 per month and includes:

XXL 120 MB Internet

M TV Package (basic tv, mainly freeview channels with a few extra ones) + Asian Mela (indian channels) with HD Box (one room only)

XL Phone Package

New Package with Sky is £65 per month and includes:

Broadband Unlimited (5-15 MB depending on distance from exchange)

Unlimited usage, and we'll never slow you down
at peak times
Unlimited access to Sky WiFi at no extra cost

Entertainment Extra+ and Sports Pack and Movies Pack as well as Sky Sports 3 and 4, Sky Movies Premiere and Sky Movies Disney (Basically every channel possible apart from ESPN). 3D and HD Pack. Sky Go Extra (which is basically sky go but with additional features and devices). Multiroom (2 rooms altogether one with a free Sky+ HD Box (like tivo) and the other with a free Sky HD Box)

Sky Talk Anytime

Make the most of your landline and keep in touch with your loved ones abroad with Sky Talk Anytime.

UK weekend calls: Free & unlimited calls#
UK daytime calls: Free & unlimited calls#
International calls: Unlimited international landline calls to 22 popular international destinations
Unlimited calls to mobiles in Canada and USA
Our line rental is cheaper than BT's standard monthly price
Need help? Call Sky Customer Services 24/7 at no extra cost
All your home phone charges on one simple bill with Sky Line Rental

I am on the equivalent of the VIP collection on VM which costs £120 roughly per month apart from Internet is a lot slower, but the tv and phone is a lot better.

The fact I used 100MB mainly for streaming (live sports) and downloading torrents (tv shows) means the downgrade to 10MB roughly is negated by the fact I now have all the channels and a SKY+ box so I no longer need fast internet as I can watch sports live in HD and record shows, etc.

Virgin Media tried their hardest to convince me to stay when i phoned up to cancel the contract, they even gave me the spiel that existing customer's get better deals than new customer's. The lady on the phone then said I could get the VIP package for £107 a month, I said new customer's get it for £65 per month i believe when you take cashback and new customer deals into account, she then calculated this on a calculator whilst i was on the phone and then said yeah but they have to sign up to a 18 month contract. I then said so what? they get it for half the price, it doesnt matter if they sign up for an additional 6 months than i do, they still get it cheaper which is the whole point. Basically she didn't have a leg to stand on, she was trying to sell me a similar service as sky but at 2 times the price. After telling her their was no way I was going to pay more than £60 per month for the VIP package, (why should an existing customer pay more than a new one?) that she either give me what I want or cancel my full service.

So she cancelled my service, 30 day notice period, getting Sky installed 4 days before they cut me off to make the transition as seamless as possible. I got the Sky deal for cheap using a friends and family discount offer, i believe Money Saving Expert also offer these codes out every few months but you have to be quick to get them.

In 12 months time when the discount runs out, they shall increase the package I am on to roughly £110 per month at this point I shall cancel and then return to VM using a new customer offer and get the VIP package for £65 per month.

anybody who sticks to the same company for years really is missing out on HUGE savings. VM's main advantage is Broadband, Sky's is TV.

sky fibre isn't in my area, otherwise i would have taken that, but i can live with 1 year of slow internet because of the quality of the package and the price.

i advise people to cancel when their contract runs out and either switch to sky or sign up as a new customer.

Last edited:
Soldato
been moved to 120Mb, pretty happy tbh:
2713343318.png

NZB

NZB

Associate
Virgin Media is pretty poor with upload as they should have 120/60 but 120/12 is terrible

Even FTTC's upload is only 20 on their 160 package, 120/60 wouldn't even happen with theirs lol. Yes it does suck to be limited to 11 on VM but they have no choice until the new DOCSIS comes out next year.

Associate
I see VM are now throttling newsgroups past 1am and to a ridiculously low speed, 120kb/s and thats not even in peak times, 1hr 45min, 944mb! This is just getting ridiculous now, stop with the damn speed upgrades that you have no infrastructure for and give people useful working speeds! Its pathetic, hurry up BT infinity.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see VM are now throttling newsgroups past 1am and to a ridiculously low speed, 120kb/s and thats not even in peak times! This is just getting ridiculous now, stop with the damn speed upgrades that you have no infrastructure for and give people useful working speeds! Its pathetic, hurry up BT infinity.

Have you tried using a different port? I use 443 with my provider and have no issues maxing my 60Mb at any time of day.

Associate
Have you tried using a different port? I use 443 with my provider and have no issues maxing my 60Mb at any time of day.

Just changed to a different port and the speed shot up so will see how that goes, thanks for the tip, just hope it lasts.

Back
Top Bottom